Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex or power pole?

I just ordered a ranger RT198 with an Ultrex, I didn’t get a power pole and am second guessing myself, should I add one pole or just stick with the Ultrex? I normally fish 6 to 8 foot water. Was wondering if the pole would be better while bed fishing.

2. Member
    My advice would be based on how rough the water is that you fish. Ultrex is great for smooth water but does alot of adjusting if the water is rough

3. Member
    My ultrex is great in wind a lot of current holds you like a rock. But in shallow water no wind are current it's bad works way to much will not hold you on the spot near as good as rough water. that's why I put talons on after I got my ultrex
    LIFE IS GOOD
    STILL CAN'T CATCH A FISH.

4. Member
    One of each. there is no way I would give up spot lock. fishing shallow power pole is awesome. but like this time of year where Im fishing points in 20+ of water that spot lock is a life saver. plus any crappie fishing and I have no problem fishing shallow with the spot lock but a power pole and spot lock would hold you perfect
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

5. U.S. Navy, Retired
    Both will cover any condition. I've had a Talon for about 5 years and just put the Ultrex on this spring. One for deep water and one for shallow water. After you have used them for a while, you will wonder how you ever got along without them!
    2019 LUND 1875 Pro-V Bass XS
    2019 200 Merc V6

Spot lock is awesome, works very well with wind and some current. May not hold the boat pointed in the direction you want. I had one Talon and when I replaced my boat, I upgraded to two Talons. Awesome for the shallow water fishing I do.

Having just one Talon or PP, won't that create a pivot point when anchored down. Been considering adding one but thinking that I will get spun around when anchored. Those who have one, does this happen?
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

Yes it does spin if you only have one. You will either need to use your trolling motor to keep you pointed in the right direction or use a "Stick-it Pin" on the bow.

9. Member
    I have both on mine and am glad I do.

10. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    ultrex for me
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

11. Member
    Thank You Everyone For The Feedback, I Pulled The Trigger.. I Got Ahold Of My Salesman And He Ahold Of The Ranger Manufacture They Will Be Adding Two Sportsman ll Power Poles!!!

I have twin Talons and RipTide Ulterra. I use them both. Talons when fishing for Drum and Speckle Trout in the skinny water. Spot Lock when fishing in the high current areas such as the rivers for Stripers or tide influenced areas.
    You'll be happy you got two. (Other than the dent in puts into your wallet!)

I went with the Ultrex by itself and it has been a good move for me. I would not use aTalon very much really. The spot lock pretty much takes its place. The Ultrex is so versatile and does so much more. I use the cruise control quite a bit. With spot lock you just have to pay attention to the breeze and nose the boat into it. The Ultrex is a purchase I have not regretted at all. It's great.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

14. Member
    I have both, but if I had to choose between one or the other, I would choose the Ultrex. I use the spot lock feature every fishing trip several times a trip. Sometimes, depending what areas of the lake I'm fishing I may never use my power pole, and typically only use it while pitching/flippin to close cover.

15. Member
    I went with Ultrex. I may add a PP later? I can't even describe how much I use the spot lock feature.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tharris811 View Post
    My ultrex is great in wind a lot of current holds you like a rock. But in shallow water no wind are current it's bad works way to much will not hold you on the spot near as good as rough water. that's why I put talons on after I got my ultrex
    I've heard that often....but my question is why if no wind and calm is anyone even using spotlock....just turn it off...lol
    1994 SWIFT boat 200-SDX
    1999 Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwoodz View Post
    I've heard that often....but my question is why if no wind and calm is anyone even using spotlock....just turn it off...lol
    What if you are in shallow water and have current?
    All fishing conditions can be different. I have both and use both because neither will cover all the conditions I fish.
    Big difference between Flint and Coastal conditions!

18. Member
    Save ur money and get u a set of power poles, keep the ultrex to.

19. Banned
    Most of the CA lakes/reservoirs are too deep for poles.

20. Member
    You’ll be fine with just the ultrex. For bed fishing out the back of the boat in position to. Ebfurther from the fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast