Ultrex Woes - MK No Warranty Transfer

Just purchased a gently used 2017 Triton in June. Owner put an Ultrex on it in 2018. Love the boat but the Ultrex has me confused. Contacted MK and naturally all I got was the warranty was not transferable which is in black and white on their website so not arguing that point. Just have a motor that's maybe a year old but frustrating.

Multiple issues

1. The foot switch works for a while, then changes and won’t engage and then other times sticks and won’t disengage. All of which will change throughout a normal day of fishing. Works sometimes like it should and then starts acting up for no apparent reason. Thinking maybe just the heat of the day and temps affect the foot switch maybe.
    2. Spot lock is sketchy. I can activate it and it will work for a random period of time and then start drifting off the spot and wont try to go back to it.
    3. The motor seems like its surging at times. Its like quick short bursts of on/off/on/off almost gives the sensation that the motor is “skipping” like a car motor might do. Maybe related to the switch issue as well.

I have (2) new 34series Optimas on the motor. Doubt its the batteries but who knows? I was excited about this Ultrex originally but honestly have little confidence in it now.

I guess only option is the MK service center since MK says not their problem.

Sorry for the vent session, just looking for ideas.
    Jeff White
    2017 Triton 18TRX
    200 ProXS

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You need to realize that 34 series Optimas are just a step up from lawn mower batteries. As far as I know they are the smallest capacity batteries produced for TM use. While it sure sounds like something is wrong with your motor, you should check battery voltage whenever you see problems to avoid getting fooled by discharged batteries.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    SOUNDS LIKE IT HAS WATER IN THE MOTOR. HAD ONE LAST WEEK DOING ABOUT THE SAME THING

4. Member
    Ok. I knew the Optimas weren’t power plants but used them for years on a MK Riptide and a Motoguide Tour tm without any issues so figured based on past experience that they would suffice for the Ultrex. I can see where the Ultrex would be a bit power hungry with the bells and whistles.

Im going to talk to Triangle Trolling Motor in Raleigh about an hour east and prob take it there.
    Jeff White
    2017 Triton 18TRX
    200 ProXS

5. Member
    The Ultrex, while not "power hungry" does require full voltage to operate correctly. My guess from what you're saying is the batteries are insufficient for this trolling motor. The button working sporadically is from the reed switch not being adjusted corrected. My guess is when you mash the button, different placement of the foot results in a difference of how hard you have to push the button to make it run.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    The Ultrex, while not "power hungry" does require full voltage to operate correctly. My guess from what you're saying is the batteries are insufficient for this trolling motor. The button working sporadically is from the reed switch not being adjusted corrected. My guess is when you mash the button, different placement of the foot results in a difference of how hard you have to push the button to make it run.
    John

i second this!

1999 Triton TR-19 PDC
    1999 Mercury 175 EFI
    25P Tempest Prop-worked by Croxton
    Minnkota Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MDI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Bow
    Humminbird Helix 10 Mega SI Console
    Humminbird Helix 5
    Humminbird Mega 360
    Mega Live
    8in Vance MFG. jack plate
    2 10ft Minnkota Raptors

7. Member
    Ok. Do I need 31’s or 27’s?
    Jeff White
    2017 Triton 18TRX
    200 ProXS

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkville View Post
    Ok. Do I need 31’s or 27’s?
    At a minimum 27's. Sam's in Winston Salem is where I bought mine from. The Duracell AGM's size 27. My boat is a Skeeter ZX190 and I haven't had an issue at all with my Ultrex. Just make sure your charger will charge AGM's. If it won't I'd get the wet cell Duracells size 31 for both of them. Last I checked I think they were around $99. Alot of guys on here will vouch for the Sams Duracells. I just went with AGM due to the simplicity of maintenance. My cranking battery is a size 31 AGM. Sams I think has $20 off on their marine batteries this weekend. My wife threw away the ad book for this week (for good reason) so I can't say for sure, but I do know it came in the mail this week.

9. Member
    Thanks. I know many like the Duracell’s from Sams. I have a Sams card so will check out the 27AGM prices. I have a minn Kota charger so AGM is what I’ll get.
    Jeff White
    2017 Triton 18TRX
    200 ProXS

10. Member
    Batteries is a good place to start but it sounds like the foot pedal is most of your problems. Switch problems could account for the Spot lock and the intermittent on/off. Likely both things are involved.