Spare won't fit after Hamby's install

Trailer has the belly basket for the spare, which I prefer to the side carry style. Clearance of the keel to the spare was close before, now the spare won't fit with the Hamby's on. The tire is about 8 1/4" wide, and I have 7 5/8" clearance currently.

If I drop the basket 3/4" I'll end up with probably around 9" clearance between the spare and the ground. That's my main concern, that would put the low point about equal distance between the rear axle of my tow vehicle and the front axle of the trailer, which seems like a bad thing to me.

I could make spacers for all the bunk perches and raise the whole boat up, but then I'd have to deal with a new bow roller pier and that all seems like way too much hassle. But I think that is the root of the problem - the whole boat is too low. Not much doing about that at this point.

I thought about making a carrier to go between the first and second main cross members of the trailer, concern here is that it might float the trailer with a fifth tire submerged when loading/unloading.

Should I lower this basket and see what happens or just get a side mount? Not sure which way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I honestly can’t imagine using the basket mount. Side mount is so easy and the wheel stays dry. My side mount never gets in the way at all
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    This would be the idea for a mount between first and second cross members of the trailer. Mock up with 2x4.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I honestly can’t imagine using the basket mount. Side mount is so easy and the wheel stays dry. My side mount never gets in the way at all
    I'll have to consider it then. Makes sense. This trailer has EZ Loader's I-Tube frame, so I think I have to get one from them, it has a spacer insert type thing that goes in the channel part for stability I believe. Maybe I could make something to function like that and get away with using a generic tire mount, they are certainly a lot cheaper than one from EZ Loader.

5. Member
    Could always carry it in bed of truck, put a chain and lock on it.

6. Member
    If I had a truck, I would for sure. SUV, haul dogs in the back. I have been putting it in and taking it out on fishing days, that is getting old.

7. Member
    Are your bunks at the correct height. The front roller should only carry enough weight to not bounce going down the road. You should be able to pick up the front of the boat and clear the roller if the bunks are at the proper height. If they are low you can shim the bunks up.

8. Member
    I didn't ever think a Hamby's would cause interference issues. I think if it was mine I'd move the front roller back, and add a spacer under the front bunk mounts.

One problem you will have if you lower the basket would be dragging sure the ramp breaks at the top of the ramp. I have a hard cover on my truck and carry mine in the truck bed

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Trailer has the belly basket for the spare, which I prefer to the side carry style. Clearance of the keel to the spare was close before, now the spare won't fit with the Hamby's on. The tire is about 8 1/4" wide, and I have 7 5/8" clearance currently.

If I drop the basket 3/4" I'll end up with probably around 9" clearance between the spare and the ground. That's my main concern, that would put the low point about equal distance between the rear axle of my tow vehicle and the front axle of the trailer, which seems like a bad thing to me.

I could make spacers for all the bunk perches and raise the whole boat up, but then I'd have to deal with a new bow roller pier and that all seems like way too much hassle. But I think that is the root of the problem - the whole boat is too low. Not much doing about that at this point.

I thought about making a carrier to go between the first and second main cross members of the trailer, concern here is that it might float the trailer with a fifth tire submerged when loading/unloading.

Should I lower this basket and see what happens or just get a side mount? Not sure which way to go.
    My spare on my Champ has always hit the hambys. I placed a small 2×4 block under the front of the tire and bolted it on so the tire sits at an angle and doesn't contact the boat.

I had one like that !
    The trouble was getting it in or out. Once the spare was in place it didn't touch.
    With mine, I could unhook the bow tiedown and raise up on the front of the boat with my shoulder while sliding the tire out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I didn't ever think a Hamby's would cause interference issues. I think if it was mine I'd move the front roller back, and add a spacer under the front bunk mounts.
    I’m with Bill on this, I would loosen the U bolts on the roller and move it more to the rear of the trailer. You shouldn’t have to move it very much to get your clearance back. You may not need to add spacers when you move the roller. If you do have to add spacers, I don’t think they will have to be very thick.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

13. Member
    A little more background is that I had this trailer made by EZ Loader and they did not have the boat on hand. They could do it because they had plans from when they made trailers for Champion. I shifted the boat forward a good 4-5" in order to increase tongue weight. As it was, straight from EZ Loader, tongue weight was maybe 50 lbs, definitely less than 100lb, which for obvious reasons was not going to work. That bow roller pier you see, I had it made in order to facilitate moving the whole boat forward.

I may be able to move it back 2" and maintain the tongue weight I want. Measuring things, I think 2" will give me the clearance, but I'm really reluctant to move it back. As it sits right now, it tows great and I'm thinking I have around 250lb tongue weight. So just wanted to add that a whole heck of a lot of thought has gone into getting the boat to sit where it sits on the trailer.

I don't know if part of the issue is that EZ Loader used their design to fit the boat on a steel trailer, since that is what they made when Champion was in business, but when used with aluminum the tongue weight is off because of the trailer material and less weight forward of the axles. It's just a guess. I can tell you with 100% certainty, with original bow roller pier that came with the trailer moved all the way forward, the tongue weight was not acceptable, and I did not have a full fuel tank at that time either. It was the kind of situation that would have resulted in major trailer sway. I didn't even attempt to tow it - with minimal effort I could pick up the tongue. In my experience that is not enough on any trailer.

14. Member
    This idea is a little out of the box but here it goes. You could have a welder cut off the 2 brackets that the roller sits in between and weld 2 taller brackets that go up more and not forward. The brackets would now point more upward instead of pointing forward. This would lift the front end some without the boat having to move forward or backward. You would probably have to shim the front brackets where the bunks sit just a little bit. You are just looking to regain the clearance you had before the Hamby’s. If you raise it 2”, that would give you 1 3/8” clearance between the boat and spare. Raising it 1 5/8” would give you 1” of clearance. I don’t think a welder would charge too much but I understand you may not want to mess with doing that. Again, it’s just another thought.
    Good Luck with whatever you decide.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike