Banned

Level 2 Smart Gauge...

2018 250 Pro XS SN 2B400575
    Level 2 Smart Gauge

Yesterday out running I heard what sounded like a faint warning buzzer going off (it wasn't loud enough to be the engine warning horn). I was running at around 5900 rpms. I looked at the Smart Gauge and didn't see any faults so I slowed down and went to Alarms on the gauge and it said "no active alarms" (or something to that affect). I got back up on plane and watched engine temp, water pressure and volts, all registered positive. I then opened it up again, seems like when I got above 5500 rpms I'd hear the faint alarm again. Checked water pressure 18lbs, engine temp 123* at or about 5900 rpms. If I slowed below 5500 rpms the faint alarm stop. While fishing I checked under the cowling to make sure I had oil in the tank, it's full... Didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than water on top of the red cap that secures the fuel filter. How did water get there???...

With the wind and my hearing (or lack of hearing) I could never pinpoint the source, but it sounded like it might have been coming from the Smart Gauge itself. Is that possible???... I checked with my dealer and they weren't very helpful, I also called Mercury and they weren't very helpful either... I guess my question is does the Level 2 Smart Gauge have "alarms" you can set for "alerts" like you're getting low on fuel (although I had at least a 1/2 a tank of fuel, or low 2-cycle oil in the on boat tank (showed less than a gallon)???... I'm not tech savvy so I'll start here before I get bleary eyed reading the manual... Theories???... Dan

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The L2 MercMonitor does not have a warning horn (though it has a location on it's harness where you "could" put one, IF you have a Mercury Depth Transducer and want a LOW DEPTH WARNING).

There is no real different "tones", just a SOLID tone and a 4-beep horn. If unsure, check out the FAQ Section under "Mods"- there's a post there about adding a LED light in the circuit.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor