Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what can a fisherman learn from 2d that we can't get from imaging?

I noticed that airmar released a new 2d ducer tm165 retailing for $499 It is targeting the bass fisherman offering wider beam angle with more power the images looked great so I am thinking about getting one. then I started thinking. what can I learn from a good 2d set up that I can't get from down and side imaging? how can a good 2d ducer help me catch more fish? I am all for investing more in my tools if it will improve my ability to catch fish. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas thanks

2. Banned
    You cant Video Game fish with DI, well I haven't seen it yet. I don't use my DI. I don't need to know what the bottom looks like, If I'm fishing a waypoint I marked it on my sidescan and know what's there.
    You see way more fish with 2D. Just my 2 cents. I will be looking into the Transducer you speak of. Thanks for the heads up.
    Post a link to where you seen the images

3. Member
    I just happened to order one this morning when I got an email

Sometimes fish on di can blend in with trees and brush piles making it hard to see them, with good 2d you can see the arches easier in the timber
    Last edited by ntslam; 08-13-2019 at 12:20 PM.

4. Member
    Please keep us informed with your new ducer. As for the OP's question, 2D is the part of your sonar arsenal for the actual fishing part of the whole equation. SI and DI show you where they should be and 2D does most of the confirmation and catching. The better each one is the better off we will be. Bob

I looked up the TM165 and it states 30 degree coverage.

The Humminbird HW transducer has 42 degrees coverage at Full and Wide, and 25 degrees at Narrow.
    Don't see any gain purchasing a transducer that has the same performance with less coverage for more than 5 times the cost----$89.99 vs $499
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I agree with Wayne.... I considered that new transducer as well, but theres no real good reason for it if youre using Humminbird’s new xdcr.

As far as will a wide 2d cone help you see more fish under the boat? Absolutely.

7. Member
    wow good info. I am not familiar nor have I used the bird 2d transducer that is part of the DI+ transducer. I didn't know it was that good. I always understood airmar to be better than original transducers. how can you tell from what you have read that the bird transducer is just as good as the airmar transducer? not trying to be smart just trying to learn how to evaluate a transducer. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    wow good info. I am not familiar nor have I used the bird 2d transducer that is part of the DI+ transducer. I didn't know it was that good. I always understood airmar to be better than original transducers. how can you tell from what you have read that the bird transducer is just as good as the airmar transducer? not trying to be smart just trying to learn how to evaluate a transducer. thanks
    https://www.humminbird.com/news/arti...um-chirp-sonar
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    I have used Lowrance, Airmar TM150, Garmin and the new Humminbird G3 Chirp 2D transducer is excellent.
    Doctor Sonar®
    Go Fishing, the Clock is Ticking

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    I always understood airmar to be better than original transducers. how can you tell from what you have read that the bird transducer is just as good as the airmar transducer? not trying to be smart just trying to learn how to evaluate a transducer. thanks
    The Airmar is too new for any head to head comparisons yet, and they may never happen anyway.

Look at specs and screenshots/videos.

The Airmar may turn out to be "better" but costs much more.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    I agree with Wayne.... I considered that new transducer as well, but theres no real good reason for it if youre using Humminbird’s new xdcr.

As far as will a wide 2d cone help you see more fish under the boat? Absolutely.
    You''ll see more fish but they aren't under the boat, they may be further to the side.

12. Member
    Fish ID!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Fish ID!
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Colors

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    You''ll see more fish but they aren't under the boat, they may be further to the side.
    Its hi-time someone comes out with a fish id feature that shows where in the 2d cone the fish is. Humminbird used to use something like this.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    Its hi-time someone comes out with a fish id feature that shows where in the 2d cone the fish is. Humminbird used to use something like this.
    Depending on which unit/model/gen you have, with Fish ID the fish in the wider 83 kHz cone show up in Blue. Fish in the narrower 200 kHz cone show up as Orange. Provides some pretty good clues.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Depending on which unit/model/gen you have, with Fish ID the fish in the wider 83 kHz cone show up in Blue. Fish in the narrower 200 kHz cone show up as Orange. Provides some pretty good clues.

Yep, this clue lead to catching those three plus some smaller ones that did not qualify for the symbols:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    Nice pic

Was it the Quadrabeam that showed fish turned left or right as well as blue or orange?

19. Member
    Yes the quadrabeam did show left and right as well as blue and orange. I used the quadrabeam for ice fishing for several years. It was truly great in finding the spot on the spot for the hardwater scene. It was a shame Humminbird quit making and supporting it. Around the 899 ,999series that the quadrabeam was supposed to work but did not display right.

Back in time had trouble keeping up with people wanting me to convert their Humminbirds to setup like mine. It was also handy for boat fishing. Was nicknamed poor mans side imaging for while.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

20. Member
    Would someone please elaborate on that function the Quadrabeam units had that none of the newer units since have had?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast