Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownTrout View Post
    Would someone please elaborate on that function the Quadrabeam units had that none of the newer units since have had?
    Quadrabeam had the typical 83/200 as well as two side elements @455.

It had great water column coverage, but the side 455's were thin beam. I tried finding my jig on a side once and it showed up, but not for long.

If a fish was in the left side beam, it would display turned to the left. So you had blue, orange, left, right on fish id.

I had planned on experimenting with it by installing on a rotating stick but never got around to it. Like a poor mans 360.
    Last edited by Chief Brody; 08-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.

2. Member
    Also the Quadrabeam did not need movement to operate properly like the DI and SI imaging. So still and ice fishermen could use to advantage.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    Also the Quadrabeam did not need movement to operate properly like the DI and SI imaging. So still and ice fishermen could use to advantage.
    did you rotate it?

4. Member
    Yes the quadrabeam did show left and right as well as blue and orange. I used the quadrabeam for ice fishing for several years. It was truly great in finding the spot on the spot for the hardwater scene. .
    Amusing mental image of an ice fisherman constantly drilling new holes, chasing a school of fish because the fishfinder tells him they're a little to the right/left. Ends up drilling so many holes the ice collapses. Camera pans to fishfinder showing the fisherman 15 feet down with a big "fish ID" symbol attached.

5. Member
    I did rotate on ice. Transducer was set up on a pole much like the setup for Garmin panoptix. especially when fishing brushpiles , stump fields and sharp drop offs. The fish would often change their location as the day wore on. On boat could not rotate as was on a fixed transom mount. Not constant rotation. Usually just a 90 degree turn.

Not to ruin granite's amusing mental image. But actually had to drill less holes due to wider coverage than a standard 2d transducer.
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

6. Member
    Quadrabeam

quad_beam_sideimage.jpg

Rickie

7. Member
    Ive got a quadrabeam floating around in one of my drawers. Is theer any merit to digging it out, particularly for ice fishing on a 788?

8. Member
    Doesn't Lowrance have something like that where they overlay the 2D image on the Sidescan image? Or something like that?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 91reddog View Post
    Ive got a quadrabeam floating around in one of my drawers. Is theer any merit to digging it out, particularly for ice fishing on a 788?

Maybe on a rotating pole for more coverage (and left and right) under your ice fishing hole ...

Rickie

10. Member
    Dig that badboy out and try it, then let us know.

ive got 2 of them around somewhere.

11. Member
    If anyone is interested enough will post pic of how I set up for ice fishing. I still have one (quadrabeam ) that was a trolling motor mount. Also used a cable splice to cut down on transducer cable length. The 788 CI will work great for ice fishing.

I was a diehard Vexilar man until a bud from Wisconsin . Demonstrated his Humminbird with the Quadrabeam to me. Still took another two years to convince me I no longer needed the Vex. Haven't looked back since I finally sold it.

12. Member
    Im interested. Pm me your setup. Mine was a trolling motor application also before I got my 997 in 08..

13. Member

For 91 reddog or anyone that want to try setup. The arrow and the pipe elbow let me know which direction transducer is pointing. The trolling motor ones have a small silver disc embedded in it.

For 91 reddog or anyone that want to try setup. The arrow and the pipe elbow let me know which direction transducer is pointing. The trolling motor ones have a small silver disc embedded in it.
    The small silver disk is the Temp sensor. All the trolling motor puck transducers shaped like that have it. XTM 9 SI 180 T, XTM 9 DI 25 T, XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T, and XTM 9 MDI T
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    https://youtu.be/_N99hOqxzq4

Maybe on a rotating pole for more coverage (and left and right) under your ice fishing hole ...

Rickie
    Never saw this video before. Thanks, Rickie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12