Ford F150 V6 diesel

Was looking at this vehicle to replace my tired 08 5.4L F150. They advertise almost 30mpg highway non-towing. My current tow vehicle does ok with my Ranger 520 but I could probably use a little more power. Was about ready to pull the trigger on a superduty but saw this and I am having second thoughts. Anyone have any insight on whether this would have more towing power than my current 5.4L. I put alot of miles on back and forth to the plant for work so the gas mileage is intriguing. Also being an F150 there are many more incentives offered by Ford in conjunction with my A plan. I know the F150 diesel model is very new so always concerned about bugs, and most don't recommend a Ford diesel to begin with? Thanks for everyone's feedback.

2. Member
    Anything has more power these days than the 5.4. If you want to stay gas get a 3.5 ecoboost if you want diesel get the 3.0. The eco has more power than the diesel but towing mpg on the eco is prob around 12mpg vs around 18mpg on the diesel. I wouldn't buy a 1st yr diesel from any of the big 3.

3. Member
    Drove and liked the F150 diesel when I was shopping this spring. Great incentives on the diesel F150 but I went with the 3.5 eco. Pulls my Z119 with ease. Tipping factors for me were the “new” (technically this motor isn’t new) motor and cost of ownership with diesel.... I wanted a F250 diesel but had no good reason to by one, instead bought a F150 platinum 3.5 and love it.

4. Member
    I got about 9 mpg out of my 05 F250 5.4L.

Went to a 12 F150 Ecoboost and absolutely love it. I get 14.1-14.7 towing my LE-21.
    07 Legend LE-21__Sold.
    16 Phoenix 921 Pro xp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Drove and liked the F150 diesel when I was shopping this spring. Great incentives on the diesel F150 but I went with the 3.5 eco. Pulls my Z119 with ease. Tipping factors for me were the “new” (technically this motor isn’t new) motor and cost of ownership with diesel.... I wanted a F250 diesel but had no good reason to by one, instead bought a F150 platinum 3.5 and love it.
    good responses thanks all. How much more is cost of ownership? Been on many ford forums and alot of people feel towing with turbo boost greatly reduced their gas mileage so 14 mpg seems a bit high to me?

6. Member
    My last F150 was a 2016/3.5eco and prior to that a 2013/5.0. I typically got around 14mpg towing and 20mpg driving with the 2016. The 2013 typically was getting around 12mpg towing and 18mpg driving. So far the 2019/3.5eco I bought this spring I’m seeing around 14-15 towing and 21-22mpg driving.
    My cost of ownership comment is referring to the cost of diesel/def fluid compared to gasoline and how that plays into the actual cost per mile when compared to gas(you get better mileage but it’s more expensive fuel) For me I also was looking at the additional cost changing oil in a diesel and in MN the cold winters can be hard on diesel motors.
    All little things I looked at, to some people none of this matters. Diesel when pulling heavy loads long distances is always superior. For me it was going to be more of a want than a need to pull a bass boat. Gas won and I spent a little more and got a nicer trim.
    The 3.5 with the 10speed is a absolute beast and pleasure to drive.

7. Member
    I don't know what the price difference is between the ecoboost and the 3L diesel, but that would also factor in to cost of ownership.

I had two Grand Cherokees with the 3L EcoDiesel. It was a $1300 premium over the hemi at the time. The vehicles we were considering were otherwise identical. So being the nerd I am, I did the math to see how long it would take to make up that $1300 in fuel savings given our current fuel prices. At the time, and most of the time, diesel is about $0.65 more per gallon. Bottom line is that after about a year and a half we made up the difference. Too bad both were problematic engines and now I'm in a hemi Grand Cherokee, fuel mileage be damned, for the time being anyway.

Main point is if your gas and diesel prices are relatively close together, you will probably make up initial cost of ownership when it comes to the diesel over the alternative in short order. But if diesel is quite a bit more than gas, it takes longer to make up the difference in initial cost, if there is any after incentives and what not.

When my EcoDiesel Grands ran good, I was thrilled with both of them. The second one I had tuned, lightly, and that was also a great move. 6000lb vehicle and we very frequently saw 30+ mpg, calculated, on highway. If I had a semi or some other big front section vehicle going the speed I wanted to run that I could follow, that little break from wind resistance would get us 34-36mpg. If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, I think I'd be all over the Ford with 3L diesel.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I don't know what the price difference is between the ecoboost and the 3L diesel, but that would also factor in to cost of ownership.

I had two Grand Cherokees with the 3L EcoDiesel. It was a $1300 premium over the hemi at the time. The vehicles we were considering were otherwise identical. So being the nerd I am, I did the math to see how long it would take to make up that $1300 in fuel savings given our current fuel prices. At the time, and most of the time, diesel is about $0.65 more per gallon. Bottom line is that after about a year and a half we made up the difference. Too bad both were problematic engines and now I'm in a hemi Grand Cherokee, fuel mileage be damned, for the time being anyway.

Main point is if your gas and diesel prices are relatively close together, you will probably make up initial cost of ownership when it comes to the diesel over the alternative in short order. But if diesel is quite a bit more than gas, it takes longer to make up the difference in initial cost, if there is any after incentives and what not.

When my EcoDiesel Grands ran good, I was thrilled with both of them. The second one I had tuned, lightly, and that was also a great move. 6000lb vehicle and we very frequently saw 30+ mpg, calculated, on highway. If I had a semi or some other big front section vehicle going the speed I wanted to run that I could follow, that little break from wind resistance would get us 34-36mpg. If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, I think I'd be all over the Ford with 3L diesel.
    Thanks guys! The Ford 3.0L V6 turbo diesel is anywhere from 4,000 to 5,000 markup on sticker over petrol engines. Sounds like a long ROI??

9. mikesxpress
    I had Ford diesel trucks until the low sulphur fuel was imposed and it no longer became financially a sound decision as the diesel fuel was allot more expensive. Add the DEF additive and that was more $. I ordered a 2011 EB and was very happy with that truck. I ordered a 2018 gen2 EB and am even more happy with this one. It tows my Z21 Intracoastal and my 26' beaver tail trailer with a full size 50hp Ford tractor/brush hog just fine.

10. Member
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I have to admit I was always very skeptical about an F150 and V6 pulling a larger boat or camper. I cringe a bit when I see an F150 pulling a 20+' camper down tpike. My natural reaction has always been big V8 or diesel to tow. Im more than halfway convinced now and will probably sit on the 08 for another year and keep an open mind.

11. Banned
    My buddy here at works has a new diesel F150. He says he is getting 24 normal driving and is kind of disappointed with the gas mileage. He said he thought it was going to get alot more than it is. I have a F250 diesel and get 19 to 22 normal driving in mine all the time. It drops to 14 to 15 when towing my boat. He has told me several times that he wishes he would have just got the 250. I personal like the idea of the 150 diesel and just might get one on for my next truck so I'm not trying the steer you away but he is not happy with his.

12. Member
    I’m on my third 3.5eb F150 with no issues Powertrain related. The first was an ‘11, then a ‘15, and now an ‘18. The ‘18 is tuned by 5star and makes it even more of a pleasure to drive. I towed my 26’ camper this weekend over some moderately steep and long hills and the truck never struggled. My tow tune holds 8th gear when I’m tow haul mode until 75mph and it stayed in 8th gear going up those hills at 65-70mph without downshifting. The ecoboost is a beast of an engine and will tow more than what 99% of the owners including myself will put behind them. For me a diesel just doesn’t make since unless you’re using it to earn a living. Even in a 250/350 a gas engine will tow the biggest campers.