Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I prefer the Spot Remover jig heads with the screw lock and typically throw 1/4 - 5/16 oz and a trick worm on a ALX dream rod and 14# fluoro. I set the hook by reeling down and giving a sharp snap of my wrists strait up. Usually drives the hook straight through the top jaw. Works for me...

2. Member
    I normally use Crock-o-Gator shakey heads and have a very good hook-up ratio. The same tackle as you mentioned unless going to a clear water lake like Table Rock then I'll go to spinning gear and down size the line some to about 7 are 8 lb test. Good luck you are close getting bit is half the battle.

I have really good hook up ratio with the Yum and Spot Removers. The Yums are my favorite for a little heavier tackle, the hooks on these are heavier that others. The Spot Removers I use when fishing lighter than 12 lb test.
    Currently boatless but will always drive a Bass Cat

4. Banned
    Don’t use an EWG hook, reel down and sweep hookset.

5. Member
    I love to use a shakey head to catch fish, and I also use a baitcaster. I have probably tried over 20 different types of shakey heads because of the hookup issue that you are talking about. This is the best shakey head hook I have ever used: https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gama...age-GSGSH.html I've always had issues with the "spring lock" designs. This is a close 2nd (still a damn good shakey head hook) https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stri...age-SKTSH.html Also, when I set the hook, I reel down and get all the slack out of the line and use a "sweeping" hookset. No need for a crazy/ridiculously powerful hookset on slack line. BTW, both of these hooks are pretty much what DruFlew33 described above.

6. Member
    I cut the screw lock down to 1-1/2 turns. Some fish will swipe at a shakey head and won't get pinned between the screw lock and hook because the bait acts like a weed guard especially when skin hooked.

7. Member
    Interestingly enough but what I’ve seen, some of the best shakes head guys on tour like Casey Ashley use the 90 degree vertical inline shaker heads. He’s won a pile of money on it so I can’t say it doesn’t work. Dirty jigs Luke Clausen shakey head for example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12