Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hot alarm again on my Etec

Motor is an 09 etec 200 HO
    model: e200HSLSEA
    SN: 05236046

So I've been having this issue with my etc over heating at idle. I replaced the water pump but that did not do it. I replaced the t-stats and problem was gone. No more hot alarm. Tonight I wa ps idling into the marina launch and the hot alarm went off.

Should do I replace the t-stats again? The reason. I ask is that this motor was running fine and idling through the no wake zones and idling while I graph just fine until tonight. Maybe the stats went bad again?

I have noticed that my water pressure gauge gets no reading until the motor has been running for 15-20 seconds.

Before i I replace them t-stats the first time I planned to ra place the pressure release valve if they did not solve the problem.

Anyway now im a bit confused. Anyone have any suggestions?

Only thing I can help you with is the time it take to show WP, that's normal.
    What do you show for WP when sitting still at idle?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

3. Member
    9 psi at idle @ 800rpm. 12psi @ 1200rpm.

goodbto know that lag time is normal. That alleviates some stress lol

4. Member
    Possible bad temp sending senso

You may want to check the accuracy of your gauge.

Normally the big block E-TECs idle in the 3-5 psi range.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

6. Member
    Not sure the RPM but if I just kick it into gear that’s at 5psi, sitting still 3.
    Last edited by Rick Howard; 08-13-2019 at 03:52 PM.

7. Member
    Ordered a water pressure relief valve. Hopefully that does it.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    06 200 H0 new water pump lucky to have 2 to 3 at idle.. never heard of a etec ho with 9 at idle.

I just had my WP changed and it's showing 3-4 at idle. It had been 4 years and was showing almost nothing at idle on both analog and digital or whatever they are.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

10. Member
    Well.... I noticed today that my water pressure gauge reeds 3 psi when it's not running! I sssume that is the reason for the extra pressure I'm showing.

Any fix for this or am I tracking down a new part?

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Sounds like the gauge may have frozen.....replace.

12. Member
    I forgot. Have this print from last September. I had a bad fuel pump that they replace so I had the pull the codes while it was there. I had this problem last year a few times.

Does this make sense to anyone?

IMG_1250.jpgIMG_1253.jpgIMG_1255.jpgIMG_1257.jpg

13. Member
    I had similar issue with 2007 Etec 200
    T stat and all good now for last 1 year

14. Member
    I just replaceced the t-stat. It was fine for a few trips then boom.... started again.

15. Member
    I replaced the Water Relief Valve. I idle out of the launch. Made a quick run at wife open. Dropped down to idle 1200 rpm for 10 min. Shut it down and fished for 30 min. Started up and Idled at 1200 rpm for a minute then cruised at 4000 rpm for a few min. Then idled for nearly 20 min. I thought I was home free. Turned for the launch. Hot alarm! I shut it off. I wanted to try again right away. So about one minute cool down. Idled at 1200 rpm for 4 min. Hot alarm went off Again. Not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rick Howard; 08-20-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Make sure the dealer put the right WP kit in it. That happened to me one time and after they redid the pump 3 times it still was getting hot. I took a look myself and compared my new water pump kit to what was on the lower unit. The plastic piece that the water tube goes into was whitish color plastic and the one in my kit was black. I looked further and found the one they installed was larger diameter (5/8). My kit had one for a 1/2'' tube.
    The kit they installed was for a 3.4L, not a 3.3L that mine was. I put the 1/2'' one on and problem fixed.
    That was the last time I ever dealt with that dealer, after many issues with his work over many years I finally gave up on him. It sucks too because we don't have any other dealers near by and this is the Baltimore market.
    Good luck with your motor.

17. Member
    Thanks man. I bought the kit from boats.net. It's the kit for my model number. The mechanic put in the kit I brought him.

18. Member
    Took me awhile but I found the water pressure gauge. Also, I dropped the boat off today to a dealer to get a diagnostic.

19. Member
    Looks like the water pump was installed bad. The O-ring wasn’t seated.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Fire the mechanic.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast