Champion 202 battery setup

Anyone have any pics of how they have their batteries on a champion 202. I want to run a 36v but dont seem to have the room for a 4th battery.

2. Banned
    _1_ _2_ _3_
    ......4 5....

1. troller battery
    2. oil tank
    3 troller battery
    4 trollerbattery
    5 group 31 starter battery

Battery charegr stays in the garage and hook it up after fishing. I did go 29 series on the trollers to help them fit. 1/2/3 are extremely tight.

3. Member
    I can take a pic tomorrow maybe. Small oil tank in middle up against livewell area, two batteries closest to the motor running "north south" if you will (with length of boat), then two batteries perpendicular to those on either side of the oil tank
    1997 Champion 202 w/225 ProMax

4. Member
    Appreciate it. Il just have to go buy the 4th battery and make it work.

5. Member
    You really don't need to run a 4th battery but most people do anyway.

6. Member
    Heres what mine looks like202batsetup.jpg

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    You really don't need to run a 4th battery but most people do anyway.
    You don't want to not run 4 if you have a 36v TM. If you don't, you'll be draining the cranking battery that is already running your electronics, livewells and needing to crank your outboard to get you back to the ramp. You're only as good as your weakest battery and that'll be the cranking battery in a 3 battery setup, not to mention the noise introduced to your electronics by the TM. That's also why all your TM batteries need to be the same manufacture/model and age.

Quote Originally Posted by jign4pigs View Post
    Heres what mine looks like202batsetup.jpg
    Got a picture of the shoe horn you use to get all that in there??

8. Member
    That's not true. I run a 24volt TM and only run 2 batteries and never had any problems. Running a 36volt TM pulls even less amps than a 24 volt. If it didn't work I wouldn't be doing it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    You don't want to not run 4 if you have a 36v TM. If you don't, you'll be draining the cranking battery that is already running your electronics, livewells and needing to crank your outboard to get you back to the ramp. You're only as good as your weakest battery and that'll be the cranking battery in a 3 battery setup, not to mention the noise introduced to your electronics by the TM. That's also why all your TM batteries need to be the same manufacture/model and age.

Got a picture of the shoe horn you use to get all that in there??
    I think I had to get the back row in first then the two closest to the motor last as there is more room in that area. For now I have two 4x4's in there to minimize any sliding. When I got it this spring it was setup as SCOTT196 described with the starting battery being used as one of the Tmotor batteries. It may work just fine most of the time but I would rather not take any chances of getting stranded out on St. Clair or something like that. To each their own in that respect. I would rather not have all that weight back there, but thats just how its gonna be for now.

10. Member
    What size oil tank is that? Seems smaller than mine

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    That's not true. I run a 24volt TM and only run 2 batteries and never had any problems. Running a 36volt TM pulls even less amps than a 24 volt. If it didn't work I wouldn't be doing it. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!
    I've run this setup in 2 tin boats and it works fine.

12. Member
    I have been doing it since 1991. Get 2 large deep cycles and roll on! or 3 if you run 36.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrishj View Post
    What size oil tank is that? Seems smaller than mine
    Yeah I remember reading in another thread that there are two sizes, I dont remember the sizes but I definitely have the smaller one. Should be something you could order I would think.