Thread: Boat Storage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat Storage

I've been thinking about storing my bass boat in a storage unit. I'm tired of having to back it into the spot where I keep it. Though the storage units are pretty expensive. I was wondering if any of y'all store your boats in a storage unit. I was wondering about the good or bad things about doing that?

2. Member
    I store my Bass Cat P4 in a 10 by 30 unit.....love it, just have to find a place where the unit is on the end and u can pull up far enough to back in....only a couple of inches clearance at the door, but more space once u get in. Yes expensive, and they try to raise my rate each year, butbi call them to push back and usually get a 6 month reprieve!

3. Member
    If storing your boat in a storage facility will your boat insurance premium increase?

4. Member
    Thanks for info man. I store mine at my parents house and I think they are tired of it. And I see what you are saying about having to back the boat in. And I am not sure of the insurance. BAM is it a pain to have to go get your boat Everytime you want to fish?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    If storing your boat in a storage facility will your boat insurance premium increase?
    Never heard of this before. I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by like2fish2 View Post
    Valid question. I remember being asked if I stored my boat on-site (at home), or off-site when I switched to my current boat insurance company. Not sure if the rate would have been higher if I stored it off-site, bu I got that impression.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    I kept mine in a storage facility for the last 4 years until I bought my recent house with a large garage. The biggest pain for me was the drive there and back just to check on things, tinker, or charge the batteries. However those pains are still better than it sitting outside getting hammered by the weather.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I keep a boat in a storage unit and much rather have it there than parked outside next to the garage at home. Check to see what is available near you. The one I use is 12x30 drive thru with 10' doors and electric. As for insurance, I would think an enclosed rental would not have the cost impact you might see with an open lot facility. First thing to ask is what are the hours that you can enter so you can determine if it will work with your schedule.

9. Member
    Ok thanks guys. And that's a good point about the hours I did not think about that. It sits outside with a cover right now. I'll look into it it'll be after I pay it off in like 3 months I had just been thinking about it.

May not be as bad in your area as here, but the larger units are harder to find the closer you get to winter as people are looking for winter storage.

11. Member
    My place is close to where I live, no pain at all for me!

I store mine in an enclosed 12x30 unit. The owners of the place are strict and I wish it didnt cost me $175 a month but it’s what it costs in my area. HOA sends me letters if it’s in my driveway for 2 days

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

13. Member
    Dang that's crazy expensive. I am pretty sure that's what it will cost me if I do it. Screw the HOA I do not get why a boat can not be parked in the driveway.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sshorter View Post
    Dang that's crazy expensive. I am pretty sure that's what it will cost me if I do it. Screw the HOA I do not get why a boat can not be parked in the driveway.
    Good luck with that. HOA's suck. Bunch of condo commandos with nothing better to do who would just LOVE for you to give them a reason to make your life hell. Bunch of nosy ass power control freaks. There. I feel better now.

Quote Originally Posted by TX721 View Post
    I store mine in an enclosed 12x30 unit. The owners of the place are strict and I wish it didnt cost me $175 a month but it’s what it costs in my area. HOA sends me letters if it’s in my driveway for 2 days
    So you pay the HOA and pay for storage because of the HOA.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    So you pay the HOA and pay for storage because of the HOA.
    Exactly! If my boat is in my driveway long enough for a pic to be taken I get a letter in the mail! I’d love to use an enclosed storage unit but around me it’s about $225/month. I just need to get a dumpster and empty the garage!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Exactly! If my boat is in my driveway long enough for a pic to be taken I get a letter in the mail! I’d love to use an enclosed storage unit but around me it’s about $225/month. I just need to get a dumpster and empty the garage!
    How long before you get written up for the dumpster?

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Valid question. I remember being asked if I stored my boat on-site (at home), or off-site when I switched to my current boat insurance company. Not sure if the rate would have been higher if I stored it off-site, bu I got that impression.
    If they asked you can bet a dollar it matters.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    $175 - $225 per month!!!??? Build your own garage...it'll be paid off in no time.....unless you go bigg with huge doors. If you live in a HOA area don't you have a friend with a garage or barn that would let you keep it at his house??? I have a friend of mine that went thru a divorce and he lives in a condo that doesn't have a garage so I let him put it in my garage out back. The only thing that I ask of him is not to drive out back over the grass if the ground is soft in the springtime, or after days heavy rain.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20DC BULLET View Post
    $175 - $225 per month!!!??? Build your own garage...it'll be paid off in no time.....unless you go bigg with huge doors. If you live in a HOA area don't you have a friend with a garage or barn that would let you keep it at his house??? I have a friend of mine that went thru a divorce and he lives in a condo that doesn't have a garage so I let him put it in my garage out back. The only thing that I ask of him is not to drive out back over the grass if the ground is soft in the springtime, or after days heavy rain.
    We all need more friends like you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast