Thread: 1989 361V faded

1989 361V faded

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to the board. Thanks in advance for all your help. So, I just picked up a 1989 Ranger 361V. I've been looking to upgrade from my 18ft aluminum for awhile and I fell in love with the 361 back when I was a kid and my old man had one. So, this old boat is in really good shape. In fact, there is hardly a bump or scratch on her. Although she is straight, she has the normal faded gel coat. After reading up on how to get the boat to shine again, I started taking off the rails and everything attached to the top cap. When doing this, I noticed the original color under the railing mount is actually gold. I've done some wet sanding and/or buffing in a few areas. It brings back the shine very very well but its not the gold color that was hidden from the sun.

If I wet sand and buff enough do you think the gold color will come back or is it permanently faded? The odd part is the middle streak on the Ranger insignia that goes down the length of the boat is the same color as the faded top coat and the faded trailer. Check out the photo's and tell me what you think. Thanks

Off topic - everything on the boat works except the both livewell aerators. any suggestions on tackling this as well?

-CrappieMatt
    Attached Images Attached Images

It’s common for the gel under something to be the original color....the sun hasn’t hit it. Do not continue to sand to get the color back. The sun has changed the color of your boat. It’s normal. What are you using the Porter Cable DA for?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. Member
    Thanks for the feedback Crank. I'm using the porter cable DA to buff with the 3m high gloss gel coat compound. I found it was more effective than the wet sanding. After I buff with the compound, I'll come back with the 3m polish in the purple bottle and finish with a good hard wax. I'll send after photos in a week or two.

Most cases a DA will not turn enough RPM to get the gel hot enough to do the job for long lasting results....your results could be short lived. Maybe not.?
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    What do you suggest?

Directional multi speed buffer with a wool cutting pad...to most people it will be harder to use than a DA
    www.ncboatguy.com