Help - Abu Garcia Orra2 SX - Reel engages mid cast

I've got several of these Orra SX reels. They've been good and dependable as has every Abu Garcia reel I've had since the 70's.

However, I've got one in particular that is driving me nuts (Breaking my concentration!) because every so often, the reel engages on its own, "mid" or maybe closer to the beginning, of a cast. Annoying. As with all my reels, it's well maintained. Regularly cleaned and lightly oiled. Any one ever had the problem and have an idea what maybe causing this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by OBT; 08-14-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

2. Member
    I actually have had the exact same problem with a Gen 3 Revo-STX. Thumb bar disengages mid cast, terrible grinding sound. It has ruined 2 of my pinion gears , bend then where they contact the spool yoke. Put in a new Pinion and the next time the reel engaged mid cast the reel was rough again.....Would appreciate an answer.

weak bail springs. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

4. Member
    Remove the auto bail trip lever under the side plate on the rotor. You will have to flip the bail by hand after this...but you probably do already.

EDIT I just noticed ABU has spinning reels and casting reels in the ORRA SX series. Which do you have?
    Last edited by csurp; 08-17-2019 at 10:53 PM.