Thread: 1989 361V faded

1989 361V faded

Hi all,
    I'm pretty new to the board. Thanks in advance for all your help. So, I just picked up a 1989 Ranger 361V. I've been looking to upgrade from my 18ft aluminum for awhile and I fell in love with the 361 back when I was a kid and my old man had one. So, this old boat is in really good shape. In fact, there is hardly a bump or scratch on her. Although she is straight, she has the normal faded gel coat. After reading up on how to get the boat to shine again, I started taking off the rails and everything attached to the top cap. When doing this, I noticed the original color under the railing mount is actually gold. I've done some wet sanding and/or buffing in a few areas. It brings back the shine very very well but its not the gold color that was hidden from the sun.

If I wet sand and buff enough do you think the gold color will come back or is it permanently faded? The odd part is the middle streak on the Ranger insignia that goes down the length of the boat is the same color as the faded top coat and the faded trailer. Check out the photo's and tell me what you think. Thanks

Off topic - everything on the boat works except the both livewell aerators. any suggestions on tackling this as well?

-CrappieMatt
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I think the flake under the jell coat has faded....the sun does damage to everything. It will not come back.

3. Member
    Thats what I was afraid of. She still shines up well even if faded. Thanks for your reply.

4. Member
    Very cool boats. Hope you enjoy the heck out of it!
    2007 Ranger188vs, Mercury optimax 150

5. Member
    Thank you, Iowa. I will!

6. Member
    Welcome to the club!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8f...ew?usp=sharing

The 361V is a great boat, hope you enjoy!
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS