Swap A Honda Onto My Tracker?

I have a Pro Deep V-16 with the factory 40 Mariner/Mercury 2 smoker on it. No issues and it really does not have many hours on it.
    I have a line on a newish 40 Honda 4 stroke that is also low hours that I can get quite cheap. Worth the swap? I do not need more motor so the size should be fine.
    I will be trying out the Honda this week on a nearby lake while it is still on his boat.

2. Member
    Do you get the controls also, and that Honda will keep running until God come's back. Very good motors
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX 115 Merc

3. Member
    Let's see: You have a 40hp 2-stroke Mariner/Mercury 2 with no issues and low hours. You want to buy a used 40hp Honda. Your gain is a 4-stroke motor. You say it's a cheap move, I say keep what you have and quit "mow'n money."

4. Member
    Basically it will be free. I have to take his inflatable the engine is attached to. From what I am seeing and the price offered for both I can swap motors and sell it for as much or more than I would be buying it for. He (in law) knows this and just wants it gone. He even offered to help with the swap!
    I would gain a ten year newer four stroke with about the same hours as mine and could probably sell my kicker to boot, getting 70 lbs off of the transom of my Tracker.
    I am pretty certain after checking around and thinking about it today I will do it but will play with the 12’ (!!!!!!!!) inflatable for a bit. He says it goes ‘really fast’ with the 40 on it. Yeah, I bet!

5. Member
    Cleaner, Quieter, more Efficient, for basically free, yeah its probably worth the effort, as long as you can get the controls to swap over cleanly, then it comes down to gauges.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

6. Member
    id do it in a heartbeat.

7. Member
    If you don't care about the speed/weight - I'd do it in a flat second too.

Honda makes some good $hit.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

8. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    It would already be done if it were me! Good Luck!
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Not a terrible swap especially if you dont have alot of gauges. Not 100% sure but some tachs dont work with some motors i seem to recall so look into that also but easy to change. Everything else should be included with the controls and keyswitch harness.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    I picked it up. I will do 'Sea Trials' tomorrow 'as is' to check it out. Turns out it has a 2010 Honda 40 4 stroke EFI that has 'maybe' 4 hours on it. Everything works and the boat has been garaged until I bought it this morning. Came with a bunch of extra's including a cover. I will decide later if I am keeping it as is or put the Honda on my Tracker.
    My biggest dilemma for me is my Tracker is riveted and I am going to be doing more salt fishing in the future so most likely the Tracker will be sold within the next couple years. Not sure if the swap is worth the time involved at this point, but then again, I would get to enjoy it for a few years until then.
    The new boat, while smaller (12'), is a salt water designed inflatable with the fiberglass bottom and a center console. It looks great and is in very good condition, but it is small. The origional purchaser got it for a tender for his 39' boat then sold his big boat and stuck it in storage almost as soon as he bought it. My BIL bought it as a tender for his big boat but sold his big boat within a few months as well, so the little boat was garaged and only started every few months for years.

11. Member
    Fun little boat. Runs out of prop at 30-33 mph on a gps. Jumps out of the water! Super smooth ride even rougher water. Just slightly over trimmed it does this cute little chine walk that makes it feel like you are in a hydroplane. I played with it some and can definitely get it into a scary dance. At 12’ I would imagine a ‘hook’ would be very bad.
    It is quieter sitting 3 feet away (seat) wide open than my 2 smoker is at 7 feet (seat) away at idle. Once I get the swap done (if I do it) it will be interesting to see the performance. I am sure the 2 stroke will make the little boat even quicker but who knows.