Let's talk leaders

Been mostly a braid guy except crankbaits which I use fluoro. Watching the boys at TacticalBassin and they use up to 20ft leaders on their baitcasting setups. I've been experimenting with leader length to see if I'm missing anything not using a leader or not. Problem is, I use Daiwa reels with T-wing system and the knot has a hard time getting thru the T-wing on the retrieve and onto the reel and also catches the last guide when pitching. Casting with a short leader not long enough to get to the reel is no problem. So what's your experience with this issue. BTW I use either a alberto knot or uni to uni, not sure I have the patience to learn the FG knot.

2. Member
    The leaders I use are short. A couple feet at the most, have learned to adjust my drag so it slips on the hook set so my leader knot to lure doesnt break.

3. Member
    With casting gear my leader is 5ft at most. Used to tie Alberto, but now FG knot and like it a lot better. Don’t see the need for a 20ft leader. At that point use fluoro all the way

4. Member
    I use a 9 ft leader on spinning gear. On baitcasting, especially topwater, I start with about a 15" leader just cause it's easier to retie. Here, I only use braid on spinning gear and topwater applications.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

3' on both spinning and baitcasters. All you need. When I'm in structure I want the braid as close to the hook as I can get it. Dan
    " Serious Service for the Serious Angler"

6. Member
    I run 15-20 feet on spinning reels, and 6-7 feet on a baitcaster (I only use Daiwa reels)
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

I make my leader as long as the rod, basically so that the knot is not making it to the reel but it about 6"-12" above the reel when casting.

It also makes it so when I hook my lure to the rod/hook keeper the knot is on the outside of the rod and not between guides.

The T wing doesn’t hang up at all using 30 lb braid to 15 lb floro leader. I use 10 to 15 ft of leader without issue. I use the improved Albright/Alberto knot. If your pitching I would use a very short leader of only a few feet if I used one at all.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

I can use up to a 16 lb (Sunline Sniper) leader paired with up to 50 lb Sufix 832 (or equivalent diameter) braid without issue on the T-Wing. I'm using Shin Fukae's leader knot which I've heard called the "Lazy Alberto." Step up to 20 lb leader and it starts catching, 25 lb leader will catch 9 times in 10. Just my experience on both Tatula Type-Rs and SV TWSs.

I do run leaders on my flipping/pitching setup up to 25 lb however. I just make the leader length so that it's between the reel and first guide when I position the bait for a pitch. Works great, and can re-tie several times without issue. The only time it gets to be a problem is when the knot begins close to the tip. Then it's time to either replace or cut it short enough so that it stays out of the tip.

Word of advice that took me way too many lost fish before learning: Loosen your drag on slow techniques when using braid with a leader on a casting rod! I busted off several good ones even on 25 lb test hammering them in the grass with my drag cranked all the way down. Then over the winter I was rewatching a video where Seth Feider was giving advice on flipping with a leader and heard him sneak that tidbit in. Knock on wood, I have yet to break off a fish flipping in 2019. Not even a pike! Now I've really jinxed myself...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360