Helix - Yamaha - NMEA 200

Hi,
    I want to setup a NMEA 2000 network to get more accurate information than the analog gauges for my 2017 Yamaha F150.

I have a Helix 10 G2N and 12 G2N on the dash and am considering buying the AS ETH NMEA2K adapter cable and using the Helix units to display the engine information.

In addition to RPMs and engine hours, I'd like to get gallons of fuel used as a sort of virtual fuel tank that I can reset when I fill the boat up to keep track of my fuel consumption.

Does anyone know if the Helix units can do this or would they require an additional NMEA fuel data management component to track gallons used?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Member
    The Helix actually does a great job tracking fuel used just based on fuel flow.
    Just don't forget to reset it each time to you fill up.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

3. Member
    Thanks,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    The Helix actually does a great job tracking fuel used just based on fuel flow.
    Just don't forget to reset it each time to you fill up.
    Are you feeding your NMEA 2000 network any GPS data? Either from an external puck or by translating the 0183 Info from the Helix units into NMEA 2K structure?
    I get current fuel burn rate but no trip use. From my research, it seems the Helix separates all NMEA 2K into it's own little bubble. I'm wondering if there's no "time" info available on the NMEA 2K network so the trip fuel can't be calculated.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwh624 View Post
    Are you feeding your NMEA 2000 network any GPS data? Either from an external puck or by translating the 0183 Info from the Helix units into NMEA 2K structure?
    I get current fuel burn rate but no trip use. From my research, it seems the Helix separates all NMEA 2K into it's own little bubble. I'm wondering if there's no "time" info available on the NMEA 2K network so the trip fuel can't be calculated.
    I personally don't have the Helix connected to the NMEA2k network any longer, but instead opted to use stand alone NMEA2k gauges (lmf-200's) because of the headache of feeding 0183 data from the Helix(using a converter) to the 2k network then back to the Helix through the NMEA black box and it wasn't recognizing all of the data.

But in my experience early on the fuel flow was being tracked as fuel used and retained by the Helix, without an NMEA GPS input. The GPS speed input is necessary for other things such as fuel economy as you are probably aware. Plus I realized early on that screen real esate was too valuable to clutter up with engine data.

Good luck,
    Scott
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I personally don't have the Helix connected to the NMEA2k network any longer, but instead opted to use stand alone NMEA2k gauges (lmf-200's) because of the headache of feeding 0183 data from the Helix(using a converter) to the 2k network then back to the Helix through the NMEA black box and it wasn't recognizing all of the data.

But in my experience early on the fuel flow was being tracked as fuel used and retained by the Helix, without an NMEA GPS input. The GPS speed input is necessary for other things such as fuel economy as you are probably aware. Plus I realized early on that screen real esate was too valuable to clutter up with engine data.

Good luck,
    Scott
    Looks like it works, I probably wasn't running the motor long enough to get over the 0.1 gal min.

Thanks for the insight.

As a reference for anyone who might want to do the same thing. My setup is:
    -2017 Yamaha F150
    - Helix 12 MEGA SI G2N
    - Helix 10 MEGA SI G2N
    - Lowrance Yamaha engine Interface Cable
    - NMEA 2000 Starter Kit
    - Humminbird AS ETH NMEA2K
    - Humminbird Ethernet Hub

I get fuel burn rate, trip fuel used (user reset-able), engine hours, RPMS, Engine Temp, Boost Pressure and Oil Pressure.