NMEA 2000 Water pressure on HPDI

I have a 2006 3.3L HPDI. I'll be adding a water pressure gauge to the display. My engine has the white NMEA connector on the right side. There are also suppose to be two electrical connectors on the left side; one marked "S" for speed and another marked "P" for pressure. Pressure sensors can be connected to these to add speed and pressure info to the NMEA engine output. I've looked hard for these connectors but can't find them anywhere. I know 2005/2006 was when NMEA was added to the HPDI engines. Everything I've researched indicates if I have the NMEA connector then the engine should have the S and P connectors as well.

Could it be some 2006 engines just didn't have the S and P connectors? Maybe the connectors are hidden way up inside somewhere? Any ideas?

2. Member

3. Member
    Thanks. I see the water pressure connector is marked "W" not "P".
    Anyway, my question was..... I can't find the S and W connectors anywhere. But I do have a NMEA connector. Could some early NMEA capable engines not have the S and W connectors?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader186S View Post
    Thanks. I see the water pressure connector is marked "W" not "P".
    Anyway, my question was..... I can't find the S and W connectors anywhere. But I do have a NMEA connector. Could some early NMEA capable engines not have the S and W connectors?
    I doubt it. Anything in life is possible. Yamaha could have inadvertently left them out. Previous owner, if any, could have removed them.

Some early models that were not supposed to have gotten NMEA 2000 capability got it. I have never heard of a later model not getting NMEA 2000 capability.

What colour is the NMEA 2000 connector that you found?

5. Member
    White

6. Member
    Ok, I have my engine RPM, trim, temp, and voltage displayed on my Lowrance using the ECU to NMEA connections. I still can't find my W connector to add water pressure to the ECU.

If anyone has added a water pressure sensor, could I get some idea where the W connector wires originate from. Do the wires just lead back into the main wire harness or possibly go to another connector?

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Last time I had my cowling off, I saw the W & S connectors beneath the VST housing on the port side. what I haven't found is where the Command Link Water Pressure Sensor screws into the block and what the correct part number is for the VMAX 2 stroke HPDI.

On my 2011 SHO I had to purchase a digital water pressure sending unit in order to get the water pressure reading thru the nmea system. The stock arrangement was only for a water pressure hose fitting to the analog gauge. It is installed on the rear of the motor starboard side. Now that I installed it It works great. I can't imagine that an older HPDI had one either.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

9. Member
    Tx Champ THANKS!, Can you trace the wires back for the W connector. Do they just disappear into the main wiring harness or do they go somewhere else?

I'm not the original owner of the motor so its possible the connectors were removed but I can't see why anyone would just cut them off?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Last time I had my cowling off, I saw the W & S connectors beneath the VST housing on the port side. what I haven't found is where the Command Link Water Pressure Sensor screws into the block and what the correct part number is for the VMAX 2 stroke HPDI.
    zwp.jpg

11. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    yam911, thanks, I'll look for that next time I'm in there. What about the sensor for the N2K connector? What is that PN? the one for the 4 stroke pretty high $$ like most all other parts.

12. Member
    Sensor part numbers are the same. But the sensor kit numbers are somewhat different depending upon the four stroke models.

60V-8A4L0-19-00 kit for the HPDI.

https://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Wat...a4l0-19-00.htm

13. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Sensor part numbers are the same. But the sensor kit numbers are somewhat different depending upon the four stroke models.

60V-8A4L0-19-00 kit for the HPDI.

https://www.simyamaha.com/Yamaha_Wat...a4l0-19-00.htm

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader186S View Post
    Tx Champ THANKS!, Can you trace the wires back for the W connector. Do they just disappear into the main wiring harness or do they go somewhere else?

I'm not the original owner of the motor so its possible the connectors were removed but I can't see why anyone would just cut them off?
    Jeff, sorry for the delay. The MegaLink system in my Champ that runs all electrical functions crapped out on me mid-July. Today is the first day I've had it here at the house about to start a conversion to rocker switches. Here are some shots of the "W" & "S" connectors on my 250 HPDI. You can see the 2 gray connectors below the VST.

20191016_133834.jpg

20191016_133513.jpg

The wires for the "S" connector go into a gray plastic tubing and the "W" into a black plastic tubing. Those go down and into a flex wire tubing and run around the back side of the motor to the starboard side. I didn't follow them to see where they ended up.

20191016_133543.jpg

Hope this helps!

15. Member
    Thanks, I'm sure this will help others as well.

For what ever reason, my engine doesn't have the S and W connectors. I ended up using a Lowrance pressure sensor and plugged it into my NMEA network. It works great and was a little cheaper.