Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WATER / FUEL FILTER?

With your Honda BF250's do you guys run a inline water/fuel filter before the gas get's to the outboard or do you only use the two filers that are built into the Honda outboard?

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have ran them both ways, A water filter in the boat cant hurt I would say.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    I have ran them both ways, A water filter in the boat cant hurt I would say.
    The times you ran with only using the filters in the outboard how often would they fill up? I only ask because I have 108 total hours on mine and they are chuck full of water to the point where they are reducing power to the outboard. I'm bringing mine to the dealer tomorrow to change/empty both filters on the outboard and take a fuel sample to send out for testing. I want to see if I just got one bad tank of gas or if both filters gradually filled up with water over it's 108 hour life. I plan to install a in line filter to prevent so much moisture getting to the outboard filters. I also plan to drain the outboard filters every 50 hours now instead of every other year like I had planed.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I have never had one fill up!!
    pretty simple to pull off and dump yourself though!

5. Member
    I have never had one fill up!!
    pretty simple to pull off and dump yourself though!
    I wish mine was simple on my BF250. On mine you have to be able to remove both the upper and lower cowling "requires removal of nuts and bolts" not possible to do on the water, but easy to do on land. Most of my other brand of outboards I have owned in the past I was able to dump the filter while I was on the water, but the Honda is not possible for me to do when on the water. If you could dump it while on the water I would not have lost 1/2 my tournament day this Sunday in the State Fed Tournament.

6. Member
    Sounds like you got a bad tank of gas or should say a tank of water.

7. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...X31ZVL6000.pdf

Check on page 101 thru 103, no reason to spend the time and money to take it into the dealer!!

8. Member
    https://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com...X31ZVL6000.pdf

Check on page 101 thru 103, no reason to spend the time and money to take it into the dealer!!
    I'm taking it to the dealer for the main reason of getting a fuel test. The photos show in that manual are not the same as my BF250, on mine the filter is way way down under all cylinders you can barely see the top of the filter it clearly states in my manual that you have to remove the whole lower cowling to get at it. My manual is not the one shown in your link. Totally different filter set up on my outboard, I wish miner were the ones shown in the link you provided.

9. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I run a can of sea foam in every 50 gals of fuel but 99 percent of my fuel is ethanol free.

10. Member
    Ok so now we know. Had fuel tested today it came back with no H2o in it. It was metal and fiber filling had plugged the filters. Must have been fibers form manufacturing of the boat as it is only one year old with 108 total hours. The filters did their job and the Honda should be fine after fresh filters are installed. I'm still putting a inline filter in this coming winter.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Glad to know, once again the Honda pulls thru as not the problem!!

These engines may be a little slower, but you make up in the days of fishing and the reliability of a Honda!!

12. Member
    Update: 2nd filter in the series of 3 Failed, Injectors plugged solid. Waiting to see what Honda will do.

13. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If it was a opti you would of smoked the power head.Lots of bad gas out there .

14. Member
    Not sure what Honda will say but if it was merc 99% chance they would say not our fault you got a load of bad gas. Hopefully Honda will come thru.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triplebbb1 View Post
    Not sure what Honda will say but if it was merc 99% chance they would say not our fault you got a load of bad gas. Hopefully Honda will come thru.
    I would think Honda would do the right thing because the dealer has photos and saved the filter to prove the filter clearly failed and was installed improperly. It is dented in like who ever installed it on the line pinched the filter.

16. Member
    Geo what were some of the symptoms you had? Still trying to figure out my issue. Picking the boat up from shop in the morning. Master tech and computer says nothing wrong with motor. Need to determin the issue or I am selling g the boat and motor and starting over.

Thanks

Duff
    SEAGUAR

17. Member
    I will believe it when I get the boat back, but the Honda store now saying some very fine debris made it through All the filters and stuck to the filter/screen on the bottom of the fuel pump. They tell me that a simple cleaning of vst tank and replace of screen on fuel pump will fix it all.

My symptoms were I could get out of the hole up on plane and get up to about 5800 to some times 6200 rpms then start loosing rpms about 100 at a time very fast. In about 1 mile I would have to come off plane turn the key of and do it all over again. So basically I can run 1 mile at a time before my fuel gets cut off. No check engine light and idles fine.

18. Member
    Ok thanks for that and sorry to hear that you are having issues. But mine are nothing compared to that. Thank you for sharing.
    SEAGUAR

19. Member
    Final update: Bottom line have a good dealer service your outboard!!

The end result is I paid my dealer for a 20 hour break in service, a 100hr / winterize service and a additional oil change. So I paid to have this outboard dealer serviced 3 times in less then 100 hours. Two of the three services call for inspection and replace if needed of fuel filters. The same dealer also installed my Honda brand new with out the optional in line fuel filter.

The end result caused by the dealer not performing the services I paid for, fuel contaminants were loaded in both the high and low pressure filter also some made it passed both filters and then plugged up the final screen/filter in the fuel system on the fuel pump. This screen/filter is now replaced and the outboard runs 100% . Also replaced were both high and low pressure fuel filters and a Honda inline fuel filter was also installed. Should never be a issue again!!

I will not mention the dealer by name but all I can say is be careful who you let service your Honda!! The BF 250 is a awesome outboard and this was not a Honda issue it was a dealer issue. No engine will run with out gas and mine was getting none due to plugged filters.

20. Member
    At least you know what's going on now anyway. But your back on the water now and all is good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast