Punching grass rod/guide advice

Looking to build a rod specifically for punching grass. The weights used most often are between 3/4oz and 1.5 oz with 65lb braided line. Any recommendations on a suitable rod and guide setup that can withstand the test of time while using braid?

Thanks.

This is going to sound nuts, but fairly recently I built a 7'10" with AirWave casting guides to try for this exact technique. After having them on spinning setups that have been put through the ringer with 10 lb braid and fish up to and over 5 lbs (both brown and green ones), I wasn't worried about braid notching or otherwise damaging them. I contacted American Tackle to ask about whether they'd be suitable, Don Morse assured me that they would be, so I went for it. I spiral wrapped it and put locking wraps on all the runners for insurance, and of course made sure to epoxy those locking wraps thoroughly.

I've not gone to 1.5 oz, but have flipped 1 oz jigs and 3/4 oz punch rigs a bunch on 50 lb braid to a 25 lb leader. I've caught probably 100 fish on it including some bruisers buried up in the shit and I've been extremely impressed with it. The leader knot even comes through surprisingly well until the leader gets short enough to be close to the tip when you start your pitch.

I'm not saying all this to suggest that they're the best for the task - I used them for their light weight, simplicity, lack of inserts, and price - though they are sneaky strong and work very well. If you want double foots and all that I can't blame you, I just think most any guides out there will be fine for it if installed properly. The balance and improved feel you can get by not having all that extra bulk you get with bigger double foots is eye opening (remember that you add extra weight in both thread and more importantly, epoxy, when using double foots, above and beyond the extra weight of the guide itself). When you think about it, the stress you put on guides doing even the most extreme type of bass fishing isn't even close to the stress a moderately sized saltwater fish would put on them.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the blank. I used an NFC MB 7108-1(X-Ray LMX) rated for up to 1.5 oz. It's an incredible blank, though you've heard the horror stories about wait times for receiving blanks from NFC. This one showed up in a week, for what it's worth.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 08-12-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Hydra FL5 for the blank. As far as guides go, I'd recommend regular old Fuji Alconite LAG's because they take a locking wrap better than the K's. I'd personally spiral wrap it myself. My guide train for a punch or frog rod is gonna go a LNAG8 for the stripper, transition with 2 X LAG7's, a LAG6 at 180 and then LAG5.5's all the way out to a 6mm tip. I've had that guide train on rods I've used with braid for 10+ years and haven't had a problem.

4. Banned
    I've built a couple as well. Locking wraps are a must!!! I also prefer standard size guides as opposed to micros. AS far a blank, I built mine on Rodgeek's c476MHF and it does fine.

5. Member
    Appreciate the help gentlemen. Locking wraps are a new concept to me if that tells you much about my experience level building rods... They'll certainly get used on this build.

6. Member
    The feet on the K series guides have those little ridges on the feet so theoretically they should hold better than a straight foot. I've built a lot of rods with the K's too and haven't really had any problems. I personally prefer the LAG's myself but the K's without a locking/blocking wrap would probably be fine too.

Drew, I know you like the NFCs but if I was going to build a punch rod on an NFC it'd be on an IM or Delta not an HM or Xray.

Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Drew, I know you like the NFCs but if I was going to build a punch rod on an NFC it'd be on an IM or Delta not an HM or Xray.
    Just concerned about durability?

I went with X-Ray after (amazingly) getting hold of and talking with one of their engineers. You had told me about staying away from HM for durability reasons, so I wanted to talk to someone about that. In any case, I can't remember the technical terms he used so forgive me if this doesn't sound quite right, but essentially he explained that the X-Ray was revolutionary partially for the sensitivity and performance, but mostly because it was a new manufacturing process (I think with the resin used and the way it's rolled) that means that the blank does not fail if it gets nicked or dinged like other high modulus blanks will. Could've been gobblety-goop, but it's been awesome to this point for whatever that's worth. The balance and feel with the aforementioned guide train and carbon fiber grips is out of this world good.

Well, it was that and getting the blank for $87.50 shipped during their Black Friday sale that made me go that route.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Just concerned about durability?

I went with X-Ray after (amazingly) getting hold of and talking with one of their engineers. You had told me about staying away from HM for durability reasons, so I wanted to talk to someone about that. In any case, I can't remember the technical terms he used so forgive me if this doesn't sound quite right, but essentially he explained that the X-Ray was revolutionary partially for the sensitivity and performance, but mostly because it was a new manufacturing process (I think with the resin used and the way it's rolled) that means that the blank does not fail if it gets nicked or dinged like other high modulus blanks will. Could've been gobblety-goop, but it's been awesome to this point for whatever that's worth. The balance and feel with the aforementioned guide train and carbon fiber grips is out of this world good.

Well, it was that and getting the blank for $87.50 shipped during their Black Friday sale that made me go that route.
    You probably talked to Steve Pitcock. He knows what he's talking about but he's also a pretty good salesman. Supposedly those ridges from when they take off the tape give it more hoop strength, IDK maybe. I've got the MB7108 as well and it's a very nice blank. I use it for jigs (football heads mostly) and I also pitch some with it, I just don't think I'd use it to punch.

I've just never been a fan of HM and braid or HM and close quarters fishing. You're hitting a fish really hard, really close and then 8 out of 10 times boat flipping it. For flippin and punching I prefer IM and a moderate or moderate fast action. Just seems more suited to the technique.

9. Member
    I'm wondering if it's just the X ray and Delta blanks that NFC is having a problem with delivering in a timely manner, or is it all of their blanks? The reason I wonder this here is because if you don't have a blank picked out already, I'd recommend you give the MB 709 from the IM series, definite consideration. Its named power is mag heavy and it's rated for 3/8 - 2 oz. and has a moderate fast action. It has excellent sensitivity and will flat out move fish.

As far as guides go, I personally would want at least the tip top to have a ceramic ring.