Thread: carpet glue

carpet glue

What's the glue to use for carpet on your boat, for wood decking on an aluminum boat (treated plywood) or a fiberglass deck? Thx

Weldwood
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Weldwood
    agreed just got done with a Carpet job on my boat and the Weldwood red can contact cement worked great

4. Member
    So which Weldwood product, seen comments about their outdoor carpet glue that it was iffy if it ever got wet. Thx

5. Member
    Weldwood original contract cement. It's in a red and black can. Strongly recommend you use a respirator with a vapor cartridge. Even if applying outside the smell is STRONG
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

6. Member
    jprovencher80: thx

the red can weldwood stuff you can get at Lowes about $35 per gallon. think I used about a gallon and a half so just buy 2 gallons. get the cheapest paint brushes they have also I bought a dozen or so.
    one thing with the contact cement that I figured out real quick. watch what you put it on. the way it is supposed to work is you put a light layer on the sides of both items your wanting to glue together, then let each air dry then put them together. it does work that way but you better be sure its where you want it when you put it together cause you aint pulling it apart in one piece.
    what I did with mine was got say the front deck. I got my carpet all cut out the way I wanted it, when I went to glue it down I just put glue down in the main center area (all but about 3" worth around the edges) when I put glue down I just put it on the boat deck surface not on the carpet also. laid the carpet down worked out all the wrinkles with a paint roller. once it was dried and stuck in place I went back to do the edges, these I used the glue like it was intended for, I put glue on both the boat deck and carpet area let them dry then slowly worked them down from one end. it worked great.

now on a lid I did those similar, glued and laid down the main carpet on the lid face but the edges where they wrapped around the lid I put glue on the lid area and the carpet and did the same as the deck working it together slowly to get them where I want them.

mine turned out great and I have no wrinkles or anything.

8. Member
    same, weldwood from Lowes or I used 3M 90 spray, depending on what I was doing. This was for a total recarpet job including rod lockers, foam under lids, and padded decks. The 3M 90 is really great stuff. Main thing with any contact cement is to not get in a hurry. If it's not fully "dried" for that initial setup after being applied, the bond is very weak.

At least on my 2000 Champion, after pulling all the old out, I would be highly surprised if what they used originally wasn't weldwood contact cement, or some other contact cement very similar to it. I have coughed up the dough for Henry's 263 I think it was, IDK if I got stuff that was beyond it's shelf life or what the deal was, but that stuff never setup correctly, and I tried it multiple times in test runs because I had read it was the best for outdoor use. As good as the contact cement worked, I wouldn't waste time or spend the hassle trying to get Henry's anyway.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

9. Member
    Likely too late chiming in here but I used Weldwood and M77 and I think M77 did a better job. It could be the applicator (me) but it seemed to hold better.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

Wildwood in red can. Get some $.69 cents (or less) from Harbor freight. Use once, throw'em away.