1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp No Spark

Just bought the boat in my signature and took it out for the first time Saturday. Started fine, warmed up to operating temp, took it easy and only ran it up to 35mph without any issues. I fished for 2hrs before wanting to move to a different part of the lake, started the motor got up to 15mph and felt it kick or pop and it shut down like you just turned a key. Battery would crank the motor but would even entertain the idea of firing. I brought it back to the guy I bought it from and we tested it and found the motor has no voltage at any of the plug wires. Pulled the plug and it was full of gas so there’s no spark whatsoever.

Could this be a power pack issue or something much more major? I know power packs can blow at anytime but never experienced it myself. Bringing it to a mechanic today but just want to prepare myself if I need to save up for a rebuild or a $200 part
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take the plugs out and ground them to the block then take the port side amphenol connector off the pack. Have someone crank the motor while you check for spark If spark returns, you've got a bad kill switch. Don't overlook the EET (optical eye) if you have to replace the pack the replace that also.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Take the plugs out and ground them to the block then take the port side amphenol connector off the pack. Have someone crank the motor while you check for spark If spark returns, you've got a bad kill switch. Don't overlook the EET (optical eye) if you have to replace the pack the replace that also.
    Like Champ said, removing the port connector, disables the stop circuit, so if spark returns it's a bad kill switch. That would be my first thought, or a bad sensor.

4. Member
    Brought it to the mechanic and he found there was no power coming out of the stator to the power pack. He ended up replacing the stator and now it runs perfect but I know they rarely go bad. What’s the cause of stators blowing or failing? I heard loose battery connections can cause it but just want to get an idea so it doesn’t happen again. $350 is quite a chunk of change and this poor boy can’t be dropping that much quite often
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    The most common thing for electrical problems is wing nuts on the starting battery, loose or corroded ground connections at the engine.