Talk to me about a 21PHX

Im about to pull the trigger (I think) on a 2019 21 PHX with a merc 250 4 stroke. Im a big boat guy. I currently own a tr-22 triton. This is the only phoenix model I have ridden in and test drove. I was thoroughly impressed. What are some cons to this hull other than speed? Im not a speed guy. We touched 70 on the test drive and I was happy with that. Is there any reason that I need to sample some of the other hulls? This one is priced right ( as much as a new boat can be). It has a manual plate, but we got on plane super quick. It seems like a super solid rig.

2. Member
    Best boat I have ever owned

3. Member
    I had a 2011 triton 20xs with a 250 pro XS. Traded it for a 21phx with 250 verado. Ive only had it out 3 times, but I like the PHX21. My triton had a very good rough water ride, I doubt the 21phx is any better but pretty similar. I really like the center rod storage on the PHX21.

4. Member
    Had one for 2 years still trying to think of a con. Had it in big water on the great lakes rides like a dream. Had in it florida launching in 14 inches of water where other boats could never dream of getting up. 71 fully loaded on tournament day. Only con would be cost but you gotta pay to play

Quote Originally Posted by kmanbear View Post
    I had a 2011 triton 20xs with a 250 pro XS. Traded it for a 21phx with 250 verado. Ive only had it out 3 times, but I like the PHX21. My triton had a very good rough water ride, I doubt the 21phx is any better but pretty similar. I really like the center rod storage on the PHX21.
    I switched from a Triton 20x3 which is pretty much the same hull as the 20xs. After a year in the 21PHX I'd have to say it's a better ride in rough water than my last boat. It rides higher and spans the waves much better when it gets really rough.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

6. Member
    I had a triton 21x2 and now have a 721. 721 blows the 21x2 out of the water ride was in rough stuff. 21phx should be even better

7. Member
    Love mine. Big boat that handles like a small one. Takes the the big stuff so smooth, you won't believe it at first. Two seasons in mine now, and it is holding up great. The only thing I would change is that I would like a few more MPH. But that is minor.

8. Member
    2018 PHX 21. Live on Erie. 300 plus hours. Haven’t had to even tighten a screw. Buy it!

Ive got two seasons on mine now - its amazing how well this boat handles both on pad and on the TM for a nearly 22' boat. I think there are some things Phoenix could do to improve the fit and finish cosmetically but that is the only con. As far as fishability and performance I don't think there is a better boat for what I do on big water here in NY (Champlain, Hudson River, Ontario, Oneida etc). The only thing I would upgrade to would be a PHX 22.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

10. Member
    on my second full season with mine and the ride is just flat out good. Handling with the bravo on a verado is awesome. Only thing i would complain about is fit and finish on a couple areas: had to get the padded deck re-done, and the compartments leaked where the latches are but apparently my dealer fixed that with some rubber o-rings which he said are supposed to be like that from the factory. I wish the carpet was a little better quality but it is serviceable, not really a complaint.

The compartment space is just amazing how big and how much it holds. The latches are awesome -- just check them from time to time as the screws like to get loose at times. Seats are awesome. The ride on big water is unreal. only once have I ran into a condition with some waves coming towards me and bouncing off the bluff where things got a little hairy but that was my fault completely.

would i buy again? Yes...no doubt.

11. Member
    I had one,,,great boat. The pros have already been discussed. The carpet and trailer would be the cons, and the fit/finish will not be on par with other premium boats (although it’s still pretty good). Other than that, good to go!
    2019 Ranger z521c (RGR17030E819)
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 stroke V8 (2B531611)
    RangerTrail (7J5BBDK20KF164876)

12. Tico
    With Ranger quality going down in both consistency of workmanship and some cheapening of materials/materials use - Phoenix is a great option.

With that said, the front deck lids on the PHX boats seem real spongy. I would like to see the lids reinforced more. Probably less of an issue if you weigh a buck fifty.

Pros are mentioned above. Cons.. if it has a black hull, the bunks scratch the $hit out of it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Pros are mentioned above. Cons.. if it has a black hull, the bunks scratch the $hit out of it.
    I know black can show dirt easy but why would it scratch more? What color would you go with instead?