Thread: Best Ned Heads?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Ned Heads?

Currently using Zman Finesse Shrooms with and without a weedguard. I really like them, but I have had a few that the bait keeper breaks off. What is everyone else using and is there anywhere to buy bulk amounts? I use 1/10 now but wouldn’t have to have that.

2. Member
    NMBA board sponsor on here. The owner hook he uses is phenomenal also.

3. Member

Yep, NMBA makes the best ones I've used. Steve's BBC username is bonebaby0 if you have questions, and you can buy in bulk.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Z-Man Finesse Shroom is still the best all-around head I've used. When they first came out, I broke a few keepers off. They've improved them with a stronger weld now. Very easy to rig, and holds a bait well.
    NedlockZ also works very well if you think you need a stronger hook. Lead shank keeper is easy to rig and holds bait pretty well. Super Glue will hold it indefinitely. I tried some NMBA heads, and found them difficult to rig with Elaztech. Nice hook, but overkill in my opinion.

I've not been concerned with breaking/bending hooks but instead with losing fish, and that's where I think the NMBA ones shine. I lost quite a few fish on the Z-Man heads that I just don't lose on the NMBA ones. The bait keeper is a little tricky with Elaztech, but I've found that inserting the hook point and removing it a few times to ream the bait out a bit makes the bait slide up onto the keeper pretty easily. It's not going anywhere once it's up there either. Either way, nowhere near as tough to get the bait over the keeper as on the old Gopher Tackle heads. The other more minor thing is that the squared off shape of Z-Man's heads picks up vegetation more regularly than the rounded off shape of the NMBA ones.

Just my opinion, everyone likes something different.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

I haven't used the NMBA heads, but they look similar to the ones I used to use that are no longer in production. But if I do get the NMBA, I'd try snipping that keeper off if it is troublesome to slide the Elaztech over. I've always used Ned heads that did not have a keeper but had a flat surface to glue to, and I could usually get 10 - 20 fish on one before having the plastic pull off. And if it pulls off, I always have some others ready to go.

Steve will pour them without the keeper if you'd prefer. That's the beauty of buying from a small bait maker, they can do whatever you want.

He's also started doing a head called a "Juice Head" that's designed for a technique we call jig worming. This basically involves using a longer shanked, heavier mushroom head and putting on a bigger worm, usually a Senko or 7" Power Worm, intentionally getting it hung in the weeds, then ripping it free. You can also drag them over clean bottom or whatever else you'd like to do with it - this is honestly where I believe the Ned rig got its start, or is at least where Gopher Tackle got their start in mushroom heads. Anyhow, the Juice Head has a screw lock bait keeper on the shank of the hook that's awesome for holding baits in place. He can put smaller hooks in them than traditionally used for jig worming, I believe down to 1/0, and that bait keeper is the bee's knees for everything that isn't Elaztech. Trying to put Elaztech on it is no bueno though.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

9. Member
    Owner blockhead is the best I've found. Stout hook and good wire keeper.

10. Member
    https://swaggertackle.com/

Local tackle maker. Awesome pricing and neds are made from Mustad Hooks.
    50th Anniversary
    1998 Skeeter Zx195C
    200 V MAX

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Steve will pour them without the keeper if you'd prefer. That's the beauty of buying from a small bait maker, they can do whatever you want.

He's also started doing a head called a "Juice Head" that's designed for a technique we call jig worming. This basically involves using a longer shanked, heavier mushroom head and putting on a bigger worm, usually a Senko or 7" Power Worm, intentionally getting it hung in the weeds, then ripping it free. You can also drag them over clean bottom or whatever else you'd like to do with it - this is honestly where I believe the Ned rig got its start, or is at least where Gopher Tackle got their start in mushroom heads. Anyhow, the Juice Head has a screw lock bait keeper on the shank of the hook that's awesome for holding baits in place. He can put smaller hooks in them than traditionally used for jig worming, I believe down to 1/0, and that bait keeper is the bee's knees for everything that isn't Elaztech. Trying to put Elaztech on it is no bueno though.
    Ahh, I'll probably end up ordering some from him if he can do them without the keeper, hard for me to get motivated right now as it is predicted to hit 95 today and I am a cold weather nedder.

The Juice Head sounds interesting, I will sometimes fish a worm on a cone shaped slider head. Great way to fish a Zoom Trick worm.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    I tried some NMBA heads, and found them difficult to rig with Elaztech. Nice hook, but overkill in my opinion.
    I use superglue on mine. Works great.

13. Member
    Wow! Was not expecting this many replies. I appreciate each and every one of them. NMBA might be my next buy as they are priced well and get good reviews. Does anyone make a 1/12oz head? I feel like it would be almost perfect in still water. I also feel like 1/8 will sink quite a bit faster. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. Since April of last year a ned rig is what I throw 80% of the time.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Wow! Was not expecting this many replies. I appreciate each and every one of them. NMBA might be my next buy as they are priced well and get good reviews. Does anyone make a 1/12oz head? I feel like it would be almost perfect in still water. I also feel like 1/8 will sink quite a bit faster. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. Since April of last year a ned rig is what I throw 80% of the time.
    I sell tungsten ned heads. 1/10 or 1/15 oz with Mustad hooks, but currently sold out of 1/10 oz. 97% pure tungsten and usually my prices are very similar to what you will find with a lead product. Try them out sometime!

https://heavymetalfishing.com/collec...ngsten-ned-jig

15. Member
    Vote for the owner block head if going big box.... I also get some made by a guy “gopher tackle” in northern Minnesota. He does great work, you pick the weight, hook, color, and quantity....he makes them and ships, very reasonable and good guy

Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    ... I also get some made by a guy “gopher tackle” in northern Minnesota. He does great work, you pick the weight, hook, color, and quantity....he makes them and ships, very reasonable and good guy
    When was the last time you ordered from there? Those are the original mushroom shaped jigs and they actually have a trademark on the name mushroom head jig, but last I heard people had ordered and had to file claims with their credit card company to get their money back. I think that was around the time the old man either passed away or had passed the business onto his son and it just wasn't being maintained. I actually had a bunch I sold off for a fair profit since they couldn't be had anymore. Things could have turned around, though. Their hook keeper is a lead barb, definitely better options out there in my opinion but that's just my opinion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

17. Member
    The sharpest out there is the Trokar finesse ned head.

18. Member
    Outcast perfect Ned head is awesome

Have use the Gophers and the Owner Blockheads. Turns out that the Owners don't show up at TW when you do a search for Neds. I've got some Flatlands, but haven't used them yet. TW has them.

The Owners are at https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owne...page-OBHJ.html
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    When was the last time you ordered from there? Those are the original mushroom shaped jigs and they actually have a trademark on the name mushroom head jig, but last I heard people had ordered and had to file claims with their credit card company to get their money back. I think that was around the time the old man either passed away or had passed the business onto his son and it just wasn't being maintained. I actually had a bunch I sold off for a fair profit since they couldn't be had anymore. Things could have turned around, though. Their hook keeper is a lead barb, definitely better options out there in my opinion but that's just my opinion.
    Interesting.... I guess it’s possibly been 3-4 years since I order last, how time flies. I ordered bulk of all my favorite colors and sizes and still have good stock. Guess I’ll have to go somewhere else in the future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast