2000 FICHT 225 Whining Noise, Fuel Pump?

My 2000 FICHT 225 is making a whining noise after starting. It sounds similar to the noise the fuel pump makes when first turning on the key switch. I have audio and video files if anyone can listen? The pump does stay on several seconds after the check lights go off, maybe 5, normal? The high pitch whining starts after maybe 20 seconds when running and gets progressively louder and higher pitched until about 40 seconds in. Doesn't sound too good at that point, lol. It really does sound like it's coming from the external pump next to the fuel filter. Sounds like a whining motor noise so I doubt it is internal to the motor. Very high pitched and very noticeable.

Also, I recently had a engine check warning and limp mode symptom, and changed fuel filter, plugs, thermostats. This is before noticing the noise but it could have been there, so if a failing fuel pump would cause an alarm, could be it. I really can only hear it with the cowling off. I think the fuel line is well bled so I don't think it is air in the system but could be. Filled the filter with gas before starting and turned the key switch several times before starting the first time. EMM is fine, had it checked a few years ago and it was replaced with a new part in 2008.

Thanks much!

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I have gotten to where I will pump my bulb to keep the pump from running dry when the key is turned on.....once cranked the lift pump will supply fuel to the electric pump. Especially if it has sat for a while.

3. Member
    So, have you heard this whining noise? Motor starts and runs fine. Just sounds like there is a high pitched screaming coming from an electric motor somewhere. The noise starts out about 30 seconds after start and gets progressively louder and higher pitched and has nothing to do with motor RPM's. Probably will need a stethoscope type deal to pinpoint but on the port side front near the crank or is the fuel pump.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    It could be a pump motor about to go....mine I can't hear without the cowl off. If you can hear it getting louder as it runs could be the lift pump not supplying enough fuel to it making it noisy. Does the engine run well? I'm also hard of hearing.....the only way I can hear it is with my hearing aids on....but not loud and screechy... The fuel pump will not set a limp mode.

My old 2000 Ficht 200 used to squeal once I turned the key on at the ramp parking lot. Dit it for a several seconds and then stopped once primed. Did it for as long as i can remember.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    As near as I can tell there may be an air leak somewhere but haven't been able to find anything yet. It did get better when I tightened up a few things and when I pump the primer bulb while running it will quiet down for a short time. The next step really is to replaced with a used etec, maybe next year. This is no fun when the fish start to bite good though. Thanks everyone!(: