Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Echomap Side Vu images bad

I have a Echomap 73 SV that’s a few years old. I got it hooked up last week used it very little last weekend but noticed the Side Vu image was poor. Thought maybe it needs adjustments, I made a couple adjustments to it, took it back out yesterday and idled around for a while trying everything I could to get the images to be better but no luck. Basically what I have is on the starboard side (which is where the transducer is) there is a sliver of the lake bottom then black. On the port side there is about an inch of the bottom showing up then black. Down Vu and 2d sonar work great, it’s just the Side Vu. I posted the picture on another forum And they’re thinking the transducer is probably bad.

I’ve tried posting pictures on here a few times with no luck, I do have a picture I could text or email if anyone is willing. Just looking for a second opinion just to be sure before I move forward. Thanks for all the help!

2. Member
    Last edited by 12poundbass; 08-12-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Tried posting picture

3. Member

4. Member
    Thank you sir!

5. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Looks like a bad transducer,but I would take it off transom and mount on a stick and hang it over the side see if anything changes.Also make sure the backlight is at 100 and brightness is at 80 or so see if anything changes.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Looks like a bad transducer,but I would take it off transom and mount on a stick and hang it over the side see if anything changes.Also make sure the backlight is at 100 and brightness is at 80 or so see if anything changes.

Will do thank you!

7. Member
    I will do some more playing around with it to check every possibility off before a transducer is bought. If it is indeed a bad transducer does anyone have an extra SV transducer laying around they want to sell that’s compatible with an older Echomap unit?

8. Member
    So I mounted the transducer to a stick to see if anything changed and it didn’t, the image is still the same. So it looks like I’ll need a new transducer from the sounds of it? This is a 3 or 4 year old Echomap SV unit, what transducer would it be?

9. Member
    I see there is a GT50m for sale on the flea market boards. Would this transducer work on my Echomap unit? It says GT50 ‘m’ what does the m stand for? I’ve seen TM but not just m. Thanks for the help!

10. Member
    The m stands for medium chirp
    The GT50m comes in either TH for thru hull or TM for transom mount.
    I looked at the one your talking about. If is compatible with your unit it is a heck of a good deal.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter 1 View Post
    The m stands for medium chirp
    The GT50m comes in either TH for thru hull or TM for transom mount. I highly doubt that the one listed is a TH but never hurts to check.
    Its a transom mount. It would be compatible with my older Echomap wouldn’t it?

12. Member
    Did you check the pins in the transducer connection end? maybe one is slightly bent.

I have a new CV52 or GT52? (whatever came with a 93SV+). I can send it to you. If it fixes it you pay me. If not send it back.

Is yours a chirp? or an older first Gen.

Maybe wrong transducer is on it (If that even matters)
    Last edited by MonteSS; 08-15-2019 at 10:00 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    I have a new CV52 or GT52? (whatever came with a 93SV+). I can send it to you. If it fixes it you pay me. If not send it back.

Is yours a chirp? or an older first Gen.

Maybe wrong transducer is on it (If that even matters)
    It’s first Gen. I spoke with Garmin last night and they said a CHIRP transducer will not work. I’m getting a y-cable this weekend to try first before a new transducer is ordered.

So it's not a chirp? Maybe you have a chirp td on there and that is the prob. What td is on it now?

16. Member
    I have a new GT40 I'll let go cheap. It came with my non-chirp 73sv, but I didn't install it.

17. Member
    Also - you got bad info from Garmin - the 1st gen 73sv - this model: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/169422#box came with a GT40-TM in the box, which is a CHIRP capable xducer. Just your graph isn't CHIRP capable.

I'm running a GT30-TM on mine, which is also CHIRP capable, and it works just fine, and is in their "recommended accessories" listing for that 1st gen 73sv.

18. Member
    adrenalnjunky is correct. We could get into a bunch of technical stuff here but the simple explanation is that if your unit auto selects the connected transducer or allows you to manually select that transducer from the menu, it will work with your unit. A chirp designed transducer many not work exactly the same in a non-chirp unit as it does in a chirp unit but it will work just the same.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

19. Member
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

20. Member
    The first Gen came with a CV-40 transducer originally, did they not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast