MinnKota Maxxum Pro - Parts - Stripped?

Hi. Can you advise the part #'s I need to order for:

1- the screw
    2 - if this rod is Stripped on both sides, what do I do next:-(.

I really appreciate support from you!

Attachment 373052

Mine is the same as #2 on my Maxxmum. Don't know why it strips like that. I was going to replace the mount but then thought it would do the same over time, so then thought about drilling a hole through the pin & use a small cotter pin or something like that. You can always change to a Fortrex mount. That's the only difference in the two motors is the mount. Don't know about the new fortrex but when the Fortrex came out they were the same for a few years, just different mount. Heard so many complaints about the Fortrex mount, decided against that. Still going yo try a very small cotter or clip pin. Mine works its way out toward the deck & have to push it back in to lock the mount. Pain in the xxx. Never had a problem with number2 (pic) but I'm sure John @ Jones Trolling Motor has knowledge of both. I would think you might be able to re-tap it. Find out what size it is & go from there. Don't make it bigger, just re- tap the treads & see if that works. Curious to see other fixes for them.

3. Member
    The pin that goes into #2 has splines on one end and should bite into the hole that it goes in. There are bushings that go into the lower arm that this pin goes through.
    As for the shoulder bolt use blue loc-tite to secure this bolt when replaced.
    The attachment below has a complete breakdown of what I believe looks like a Maxium mount.

https://motors.johnsonoutdoors.com/P...PS_42%22_Shaft

Yes, we know it has the splines, actually it has them on both ends. I have used both ends on my motor & both ends have worn to the degree that neither will stay in. I push this pin back in numerous times while fishing. Raising & lowering the motor pushes the pin out & it has to be pushed back in or it will not lock down. Now I can't say for sure if it is the pin or the mount but it is a pain doing this. And yes, I know what the mount looks like & the parts list. Have ordered many parts for it since 2011. Fortunately, I never have had a problem with the bolt in picture #1. I don't see the point of buying another pin or mount since this will probably happen again. This is my 3rd pin by the way. This may be the reason they changed the mount on the Maxxum & called it a Fortrex. So before I would buy another maxxum mount, I would just get a Fortrex mount. If you or anyone else has a good solution to fixing this, I would love to hear it.

Just drill and tap for an 8-32 set screw from the top of the bracket. Won’t take much to hold the pin in place and you can put it on either side.
    I have a PDF instruction sheet for installing lift assist cylinders on the MAXXUM mount that also has tips on eliminating slack in the bracket by installing bronze bushings. If you are interested, PM your email address and I will send it to you as an attachment.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    Way I see it you have a few chooses. New Fortrex mount $600.00 New bow Guard $95. New Troll motor $1200 if Fortrex or new Maxium base( easy and cheapest.) $55. the pin that comes with the mount has only one set of splines. Or you can do as Bill suggest. If this motor is more then 10 years old I would bite the bullet and invest in a new one.

Thanks Bradrodfish. I can get the Fortrex mount for $400. Not going to invest in another maxim mount. My motor is in excellent condition considering it is a 2011, so I don't see running out & buying a new motor. The Maxxum 101 & 112 will install in the Fortrex base, since the motor itself is the same. If you don't believe that look up parts in the parts diagram of a maxxum vs. the Fortrex. Parts numbers are identical. As I said in recent years that may have changed but I doubt it. Some parts may have been added or deleted, I don't know. I surely can't see buying a new fortrex & having basically the same motor, just a different mount.
    Thanks Bill, that's a good idea as well. I have thought about drilling a very small hole through the pin for a very small cotter pin or a clip pin. This would be on the inside of the mount (deck Side) & would keep the pin from working it's way out. My motor is excellent in looks & condition so until something drastic happens I will continue to use it. BTW, I do have your pdf on the lift assist. I've had it since you put it out in 2017, I believe & I have that same lift assist & bronze bushing on my motor, thanks to you for that. Works great & never a problem with it. Any other suggestions from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to both of you for your time.

You will need to change the bow mount on your MAXXUM to the Fortrex Mount. Mr Jones changed mine, when he installed my Ultrex. This allows me to mount the MAXXUM on the Ultrex bracket by loosening one screw.
    BTW- You will not be able to drill the pin, it is hardened and ground.
    Edit: it just occurred to me that the bow mount should be included with the bracket. Don’t know what I was thinking

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 08-13-2019 at 08:19 PM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Thought that too when I first read it.
    On drilling the pin, yeah, thought about that too but thought I might try a few drill bits.
    Thanks Bill

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    Thanks Bradrodfish. I can get the Fortrex mount for $400. Not going to invest in another maxim mount. My motor is in excellent condition considering it is a 2011, so I don't see running out & buying a new motor. The Maxxum 101 & 112 will install in the Fortrex base, since the motor itself is the same. If you don't believe that look up parts in the parts diagram of a maxxum vs. the Fortrex. Parts numbers are identical. As I said in recent years that may have changed but I doubt it. Some parts may have been added or deleted, I don't know. I surely can't see buying a new fortrex & having basically the same motor, just a different mount.
    Thanks Bill, that's a good idea as well. I have thought about drilling a very small hole through the pin for a very small cotter pin or a clip pin. This would be on the inside of the mount (deck Side) & would keep the pin from working it's way out. My motor is excellent in looks & condition so until something drastic happens I will continue to use it. BTW, I do have your pdf on the lift assist. I've had it since you put it out in 2017, I believe & I have that same lift assist & bronze bushing on my motor, thanks to you for that. Works great & never a problem with it. Any other suggestions from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to both of you for your time.
    Not sure I'm reading what you're trying to say, but although the Maxxum and Fortrex are the same footpedal and trolling motor, the bowguard will not fit a Maxxum mount. You should make sure the $400.00 mount that you get includes the Bowguard, then you will disassemble the maxxum and swap bowguards.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Correct Mr. Jones. Didn't think about saying that. BTW, what are your thoughts on keeping that pin from sliding out.

12. Member
    Correct Mr. Jones. Didn't think about saying that. BTW, what are your thoughts on keeping that pin from sliding out.
    Purchasing a new base for the current mount.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

So roughly buying a $50 bracket to "fix" a $5 dollar pin.

14. Member
    So roughly buying a $50 bracket to "fix" a $5 dollar pin.
    No, the bracket is damaged and not holding the pin. You're buying a bracket and pin to replace the damaged bracket and new pin to replace a possibly warn pin.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

I appreciate your answer John.
    Thanks

Drilled a hole in the pin, put a clip in it. Used it for 2 days & works perfect.