Low oil alarm on 150 pro XS Optimax

Question for you Optimax owners.

i have a 2011 OptiMax and was fishing yesterday, ran great all day, went to head back to the dock, and got a low oil alarm. Code 14 on my mercury computer. Went into guardian mode one time. Only thing I had opened a few days before was my oil tank on the boat, not motor. Got home and could swear it had very low oil on the motor tank. Re seated tank lid in the boat Incase it was loose and creating an air leak, Got up this morning went and got muffs, hooked them up and pulled cowel off and there was oil, had a air gap in it, started it and blead the tank. Let it run and still got the alarm every 2 min. Pulled the wires off the motor tank and checked continuity on the oil switch and had none.

so my question is, can just replace the switch or this model do I need to replace the whole tank and assembly?

2. Member
    This is a DFI for the record.

3. Member
    whole tank sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    whole tank sir
    I was afraid of that.

Ok, does the bottom Cowel need to come off? The bottom bolt looks like it could be fun.

5. Member
    Is it common for these to just go out? Just bought the boat, this was the first real time to take out and run. Like I said, it ran greet all morning, till we took off for the ramp.

what is the life expected for these tanks?

6. Member
    easier , yes, but can be done
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    I guess I did the correct checking. If no continuity between the two wires coming off the switch meaning I have a bad tank.

i am new to the Optimax

8. Member
    I cannot find any videos how to get the bottom cowel off.

9. Member
    Welcome to BBC Denis! There's a forum dedicated to the 2.5L just below this one (disregard the missing "&" between 2.5L and high performance) and includes the Optimax. Also should read the Announcement at top of any of the Merc forums.

There are 4 bolts to remove the lower cowl 2 at rear both visible with the upper cowl off, and 2 in front, one visible from outside and the other is inside just below where the engine harness and throttle/shifter cables enter. That one is challenging for me, the others are easy.

In addition to replacing the oil tank assy as Joe recommended, you should also have a reputable Mercury dealer perform an oil pump prime sequence to bleed any air that might get in the supply line between the tank and engine. Be sure to specify "oil pump prime sequence" and tell them not to put engine in break in mode.

One the most valuable tools you can purchase for you engine is a genuine Mercury service manual from any Mercury dealer. I recommend European Marine, a BBC sponsor, and you can reach them this way - If you want to order or price Mercury Engine Parts or Accessories...

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

10. Member
    Thank you SilverFox, I just got off the phone with the boat dealer/mechanic here near me. I think I will take to them. Only 100 to install and prime the tank. And will be getting me a manual. Rather spend a few hundred before 6-9k. LOL

11. Member
    very reasonable, smart man indeed

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    very reasonable, smart man indeed
    +1 to that. If you save yourself an hour's labor once that genuine service manual will have paid for itself in full.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

13. Banned
    Let it run and still got the alarm every 2 min. Pulled the wires off the motor tank and checked continuity on the oil switch and had none.

Question....

Wouldn't you only get continuity between the wires IF the low oil switch was activated because of low oil or the switch was stuck????

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nope. Open circuit will set the warning.

BTW... Please see:
    Sticky: Engine posts in APPROPRIATE FORUM, Please

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor