Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking about a repower

After some crunching of numbers, a new boat just isn't in the cards this year or next (at least the size boat I want)
    So I've decided to do a re-power after I fix a few things that need to be done. I'd be looking at a 90-115hp (max for the boat) and would like something that's quieter than the carberated 2-stroke that's on it now.

I'm looking at all brands and will be adding hydro-steering while I'm at it for comfort's sake.

What does everyone recommend? 4-stroke over E-Tec's? Any durability issues to look for in certain brands?

Any input would be much appreciated

2. Member
    Hard to beat a 90 to 115 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. The 90 SHO and 115 SHO are strong for their rating.

3. Member
    The new Etec 115 ho is supposed to be a gamechanger. Check it out.

Regardless of brand selection always go with max rec. HP. I chose the 90 ILO a 115 on a new flats skiff once and considered it a mistake. The added power would have spun a pitch bigger giving more speed for a lower rpm.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

5. Member
    Evinrude E-Tec .

6. Member
    The boats I have ridden in that where the quietest had Honda’s on them

7. Member
    Pick the brand that has the best and closest service available for you, and, preferably buy it from that dealership. Max the HP and put on a 115. Best for resale, and, if you just want to cruise, throttle back.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    I have a 2016 90ho E-Tec on my 16' tin can, the torque, fuel efficiency, and quietness of that motor is great!

9. Member
    I have a 2018 Merc Pro XS 115 on my 190. Its crazy quiet. I've forgot its running several times idling around the lake its so quiet. I wouldn't buy a 2 stroke these days.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

10. Member
    Can't go wrong with most of the 4S. Just make sure to max out the HP limit for your boat.

11. Member
    Why not save your money over the winter, sell boat in the spring. Use that money plus saved money to upgrade to closer to what you want. You won’t get your money back on that new motor when you decide to upgrade later.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Sandman View Post
    Why not save your money over the winter, sell boat in the spring. Use that money plus saved money to upgrade to closer to what you want. You won’t get your money back on that new motor when you decide to upgrade later.
    This, I don't understand. If in two or three years you can afford the new boat why in the world would you re power if your current motor is running alright?

13. Member
    Main reason for a repower is that I will most likely have this boat for at least 5+ more years as I had started my own business and want to grown that vs additional dollars towards a new boat. Plus, when I'm done, I'll have a nice little ride that not many have

Back to the subject, I'm gonna be maxing out the HP as it is not much more than the 90. It currently has a 75hp and it's definitely the bottom end of what this boat needs.

Does the G1 rude have a setback or only the G2? I'm reading that the G2 has a 6" setback due to the built in steering.
    For the Mercs, is the command thrust give that much of an advantage at the 115 level?

I'll be upgrading the dash as well and was wondering if it would be better to use the analog gauges and a console unit or the Vessel view or Evinrude Icon panels?

14. Member
    115 ho e tec!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    I just did what you're thinking about. I have the hull I like and needed a more dependable motor than what was on it. That particular engine was a money pit, deep money pit. I bit the bullet and bought a motor that is max hp for my boat. I went with a four stroke and have absolutley no regrets. Everything for the motor is digital and actually like it better than analogue. The six year warranty was part of the package and really is nice. Don't want to get into mines bigger and better than yours on this thread. Do your research and it'll ring true when you get there.

Four stroke is the way to go.
    Pat Leach

USAF MSgt Retired

1992 Procraft 180 Pro
    2016 Mercury 150 Four Stroke
    2018 Minn Kota Ulterra
    Helix 7 SI/GPS
    Helix 7 Sonar/GPS

17. Member
    What brand is on it now? Will be easier to upgrade with same.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

18. Member
    Currently a 75hp Johnson 1981, I'm sure things aren't compatible with the newer stuff, lol. It's my dad's boat, so I've had it my whole life.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhick16 View Post
    Main reason for a repower is that I will most likely have this boat for at least 5+ more years as I had started my own business and want to grown that vs additional dollars towards a new boat. Plus, when I'm done, I'll have a nice little ride that not many have

Back to the subject, I'm gonna be maxing out the HP as it is not much more than the 90. It currently has a 75hp and it's definitely the bottom end of what this boat needs.

Does the G1 rude have a setback or only the G2? I'm reading that the G2 has a 6" setback due to the built in steering.
    For the Mercs, is the command thrust give that much of an advantage at the 115 level?

I'll be upgrading the dash as well and was wondering if it would be better to use the analog gauges and a console unit or the Vessel view or Evinrude Icon panels?
    On the dash I would get a new locator and you can run the gauges off it thru a NMEA or whatever its called. Just get a unit capable of doing that.

the Evinrude 115 HO G2 would be an excellent choice. I would wait till next spring to see what kind of incentives they have. Wait to see if the 8 year with free riggging or 10 year warranty deal pops up.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast