Engine cuts out when trying to get on plane.

Yamaha HPDI 200, 2008.

Engine cuts off dead when try to accelerate and nose lifts a couple feet. Will restart and can idle or run along slow, but when try to accelerate, engine just stops (no sputtering or anything just cuts off). Dealer has no clue, in $2000 and the boat is no better. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Hoses, primer bulb, antisiphon, filters all replaced

3. Member
    Sounds like a fuel restriction. Ask the dealer if they hooked a portable gas can and tried it.

4. Member
    My 04 250 HPDI did the same thing a few years ago. Out of the blue, it suddenly started shutting down on blast off. It would never totally stop, just go to idle. If I eased into the throttle, it would get on plane and run normal. Checked or Changed everything related to fuel. No help. Luckily I can do this work myself and was only out the cost of parts. After researching the issue, I found that this engine loves high CCA batteries and will shut down when available voltage drops below a certain level. My battery was a 850 CCA and was 1 year old. I went back out to test. If I had no graphs on or did not hit the trim as I accelerate, it worked fine. As soon as I tried to trim the engine, when accelerating, it would immediately drop to idle. Had my starting battery load tested and discovered it had one weak cell. Charged normal but was not putting out the max voltage. Purchased a 1100 CCA AGM battery. Issued solved. No more shut downs. No more graphs blinking or turning off when starting the engine.

5. Member
    I had a similar issue. Wouldn’t go over 3200rpms until the boat planed out. Then ran fine. Took a video and sent it to my shop. It was the low pressure fuel pump. There is a float in it and when the engine “leaned” during take off not enough fuel could be sent to engine.