Thread: Mega vs regular

Mega vs regular

Anyone that has upgraded to Mega, is it significantly better than the previous models? Or just marginally? I just bought a Helix, now I'm thinking about upgrading just to have the 360 Mega.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Do you have units that have MEGA Imaging now?
    Your signature does not state exactly what models you have.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Do you have units that have MEGA Imaging now?
    Your signature does not state exactly what models you have.
    No sir, I do not.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

The MEGA SI+ and MEGA DI+ G3N units produce sharper images than the MEGA SI and MEGA DI G2N units.
    The SOLIX SI+ G2 units produce sharper images than the first generation SOLIX SI units.
    The + units have more power.

The compatible MEGA 360 models are listed here down the page a ways:

https://www.humminbird.com/learn/ima...#COMPATIBILITY
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    I appreciate that Wayne, but I'm interested in real world experience. Where someone has spent their hard earned dollars upgrading. I want to know if it is worth it. Sometimes the marketing outweighs the actual product.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I have two actual G3N Helix models----SI+ and DI+
    I have the actual first generation SOLIX MEGA SI.
    I can see the difference in the + image quality and the additional range using 1200 kHz

If you want to get a MEGA 360, you have no choice but to get a current Imaging model to run it. The MEGA 360 is not an Ethernet accessory like the current 360. It connects to the transducer port just like a 2D, DI, or SI transducer does.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    I have two actual G3N Helix models----SI+ and DI+
    I have the actual first generation SOLIX MEGA SI.
    I can see the difference in the + image quality and the additional range using 1200 kHz

If you want to get a MEGA 360, you have no choice but to get a current Imaging model to run it. The MEGA 360 is not an Ethernet accessory like the current 360. It connects to the transducer port just like a 2D, DI, or SI transducer does.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    I just replaced 2 1198's with a Helix10 chirp mega+SI G3N and a Helix10 chirp mega+DI G3N. I think they are 10 times better. Clearer, brighter, and a hell of alot more detailed. I look at locators like cell phones and computers/laptops.....they still work being old but the new technology is hard to pass up.

9. Member
    They're 100% more detailed and easier to read with the mega + units...to me there is a big difference in the mega and mega +
    2020 721 250 mercury 4 stroke

10. Member
    I upgraded from an 899 to a helix 9 mega SI g2n. The difference is night and day.

11. Member
    Bottom line, in my world up north with big weeds, the first gen was terrible and the mega + are fun to look at but still just ok. Ok haters, blast me.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtryguy View Post
    Bottom line, in my world up north with big weeds, the first gen was terrible and the mega + are fun to look at but still just ok. Ok haters, blast me.
    If that's your honest experience, then there's no need to blast you. If you could elaborate on that it would help.

I had the very first gen SI and I thought it looked fantastic. I'm contemplating what the OP is considering, and that's MDI, MSI and M360. Just got an Ultrex with MDI so I'm half-committed. The real question is how does Mega + stack up against the competition, like Garmin (or Lowrance) Livescope?

The 'Bird's 360 is an expensive add-on, and Livescope is a SUPER expensive add-on. What is really more useful to the bass fisherman? Seeing the crappie in a tree doesn't sound helpful, but how about schools of bass and bait? Does the 360 'clock' view give you a better idea of exactly WHERE likely targets are? If I know that I've got a rockpile to work at 9:30 and a brushpile at 2:00, is that more useful than seeing the fish swimming in the Livescope cone?

I think the 360 mount and pole would be PERFECT for an aim-able, steerable forward scan technology, no? Humminbird, you listening? I'm sure they're ON IT already...
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdtryguy View Post
    No sonar is going to penetrate heavy vegetation. Wouldn't matter whether it was MEGA+ or a 10yr old unit. So, no complaints here...LOL
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow