Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Water in Transom

Had my new 1980 out on 4 occasions. First 2 times doing break in, last 2 times fishing. On all 4 occasions I have noticed about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of water in the rear transom around where the live well intake and discharge go through the hull. There is no water or wetness back towards the live well. When I open the remote drain plug some water runs out but there still is probably 1/4 inch of water standing around the thru hull fittings that will not drain. Any body had an issue?

2. Member
    Notice where the drain plug is located, you will see that it is exactly the height of the hole. I had to look at mine the first time also until I noticed the hole placement, no worries, that tray does not hold much. If it bothers yo, just open the drain at a steep incline if your ramp has one , or run your jack all the way up when you park the boat. A shammy will also take care of whats left very quick.

3. Member
    Thanks I will take a look, but I guess my question is where is the water in the boat coming from.

4. Member
    How fast do you throttle down from being on plane. Look back and see if waves come over transom when you slow down. Just a thought.

5. Member
    I thought about that and the last day I ran the boat I really tried to watch that and not let it happen. Still had a small amount of water when I took out. I m going to run it another day or too and see that does not happen and then see if I have any water in the transom.

6. Member
    Hey also if u use the cooler in the boat and pull the drain plug when ur done it drains in the transom of boat and doesnt run out unless bilge pump pumps in out just so u know

As already mentioned, watch coming off of plane. if you shut it down to quick, you will get water over the back. Still happens to me even though I know better. Sometimes I get caught up in the moment running from spot to spot. Also, make sure you are getting your plug in all the way. You have to push a little further past the initial stopping point.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

8. Member
    True that

I noticed on my 2080 that the remote drain plug would not seat all the way.
    Back when i demoed my boat my wife made the comment that sure is a lot of water coming out as we followed it back to the dealer, i know we took on some water over the back as stopping to fast.
    Back to the remote drain some wizard installed the handle that opens and closes it too close to the console and the lever would hit hard not allowing it to fully close. The fix was to pull the rubber boot off the handle and snip off 1/4" off the handle reinstall the boot.
    Problem solved.
    Are you sure yours is fully seating?

10. Banned
    Maybe you have a small crack in the hull?

11. Member
    Drain plug was checked prior to launch and was properly seated. Guess I will watch more closely as its used. If water comes over the back how is it going to get in the transom?

12. Member
    It comes in through the back battery compartment lid that isn’t sealed like the the other boxes. I’ve had this happen a few times when I stop too fast, or when really tall waves crash over the back of the boat when you’re fishing. Bilge pump gets most of water out, but there’s always a little left.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

"really tall waves crash over the back of the boat when you’re fishing"

Is this common on the 1980 with a 150? What's the freeboard on the stern while trolling?

I know some of the Trackers have a scary freeboard. I even talked about it with a Coast Guard Auxiliary guy at Bass Pro shops about it.

I have never had wakes or waves actually come over the back when trolling. However I don't fish really big water. I am mostly on tidal rivers. Just an estimate from looking at my pics, I am guessing at least 10-12" freeboard when trolling, prob closer to 12.
    2021 Vexus 2080, Merc ProXs 200
    2019 Vexus 1980, Evinrude G2 150 H.O. - moved onto a new owner

15. Member
    I have the vexus 189 and I have noticed on a couple of occasions that there is more water in the transom than I would like to see. I am not sure where it is coming from. A couple of times I have had to use the bilge pump to pump out the water. I am following this thread and will update if I find anything out on mine.

16. Member
    No, it’s very uncommon. It requires a very unique wave that is very tall and is also close together coming right toward the back splash well. Think wake boat. You’ve seen them surf behind them right? On normal waves the back of the boat lifts and water passes under like normal. This type of wave doesn’t discriminate on size or style of boat. If it’s a bass boat it’s going to crash over the back and soak the carpet. Hopefully you have more sense than me to be out in the worst possible crazy wave situations. If not just be aware that if a wake boat passes way to close watch more carefully than I did, and get the back turned to the side a little so the wave comes at an angle.

It has only happened once, and I wouldn’t have been out there on this Fourth of July holiday weekend with the big cruisers and wake boats running right next to us. But, we had found some big ledge fish that didn’t mind all the wave action and this marauding wave snuck up on us before we could change the angle of the boat. It was so rough like being in a washing machine that day, I actually got a little sea sick. I’ve never done that in all the years I’ve been on the water. Part of of it was driving the boat in circles to stay on the fish too. Felt like crap for about an hour until they all left to go home Sunday evening. Then it was beautiful out there. Great night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    It comes in through the back battery compartment lid that isn’t sealed like the the other boxes. I’ve had this happen a few times when I stop too fast, or when really tall waves crash over the back of the boat when you’re fishing. Bilge pump gets most of water out, but there’s always a little left.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 08-13-2019 at 09:34 PM.

17. Member
    With that soaking wave above that I used the bilge pump on afterward for a couple minutes, not a drop of water got in either of the back storage boxes that are sealed. I really couldn’t believe it. Imagine 100 gallons of water probably getting thrown on the back of your boat all at once. Every inch of the back deck was wet and a little water got into the cup holders of my middle seat.

I can’t guarantee that your boat’s sealed boxes will stay dry in all conditions, but if I had a video of that water crashing over into my boat you would think that those boxes would have an inch or more of water in them. Not a drop. See why I like my Vexus? I wanted a boat I could depend on in big water, and I have one.

18. Member
    So, I noticed this on my AVX1980 it puddles in the back but the bilge won't pick it up; I have paid close attention to rapid stops to avoid water coming back over the transom...the issue is the drain from the on-board ice cooler. I don't like to have standing water so I have purchased a wet vac specifically to address get most of it out...I also have an inexpensive blower evaporator specifically to help dry out the boat carpet, etc. that I also use for this occasion...problem solved. Given the possibility of getting aluminum shavings into the bilge I suspect it's not exactly flush with the lowest point in the boat...at least that's my hunch why it's not bone dry after an otherwise dry boat trip...also...even with remote drain plug I hardly have a drop coming out of the drain when I do open it.

19. Member
    I have also seen boats that put up a fine spray 'at speed' off of either the motor or transducer that got in the boat.

20. Member
    toadhead, you could put the cooler’s plug in to keep water from draining while you were on the water, and unplug it when you got off the water to let it drain. Just a thought. I always have a little water there, but I’m kinda use to it from owning other aluminum boats that would do the same. Back in the day I use to keep a big sponge in the bilge, I but haven’t done that in the Vexus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast