Randy Walker

06 250 HPDI - power surge

Had something weird happen today while out on the water. Some on this board know I've been having issues with fouling a plug, loss of speed and RPM's... after going through MANY things been told that something must have went wrong with the rebuild of that one cylinder. Anyway, today I was out and first 4-5 runs it was a little sluggish getting out of the hole, as usual due to lack of power and plug issue... but the next run I went to make the boat was slowly getting out of the hole and I let off throttle a little and then got back into it, while at the same time playing with the trim a little... bow up trying to get out of the hole for about 8 seconds or so and then all of a sudden it was almost like something cleared and the motor rev'd and it shot out of the hole (like hitting a nitrous button) like old times and felt like it had plenty of power. It actually surprised me because it's ran like crap for so many years now.. anyway, I happen to be heading towards a 5 zone so could not continue to see if the power would continue through the run, I had to come off pad and go through the 5 zone, got back on pad and lack of power again... could not replicate even with playing with trim.. it was weird. Has this happened to anybody? Any idea what could have taken place? I topped off both tanks in the morning, put in my normal Lucas Marine and Stabil products...

Any thoughts?

2. Member
    I had that identical issue with mine. Just replaced vst pump, ignition coil on #4 since that plug was getting very black, all new plugs and fresh gas. Good as new. Ran about 15gal of gas through it so far.

3. Member
    And to top it off before I couldn’t get the boat over 68. Now I can do 71 with no issue after all of this.

4. Randy Walker
    Green... did you just do a coil swap on brand new? what did the VST pump and coil cost you? You replaced the filter or pump? I've tried an entire different coil assembly that a buddy had with no difference, but think buying new coil and trying could not hurt. If does not work, then hey, got an extra coil incase ever need one... haha

5. Member
    I bought a used coil off of eBay $15. I’ll buy a new to replace it over the winter.

The pump was around $200 with new filter. I bought a oem replacement from eBay as well. Oem from sim is around $700. I was kind of just throwing parts at it until it worked right but I’m very happy with the results of all. It honestly hasn’t run this well under my ownership. It’ll be even better after I get the prop cleaned up.

6. Randy Walker
    Oh nice, cheap fix for sure based on "throwing parts" at it... I know you and I have done a lot of that.. haha... cool, I'm going to get a coil and VST pump, but think I'm going to go aftermarket for cheap for now, just to see if it helps. If don't work, I'll swap back and have an extra aftermarket pump and coil, incase I ever need in a pinch. Fingers crossed..