oil burn and warning

I just purchased a, new to me, 2005 Yam 150 VMAX TLRD Only has 69 hrs. on it with perfect compression and runs strong.
    It seems to burn oil quickly , needing refill after approx 4-5 hrs. running time, while the oil tank still has at least 1/4 tank left in it.

Are theses motors notorious for burning oil ? Is something wrong with my oil level/indicator?
    Any advice or information/suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks

2. Member
    Are you putting oil in the tank in the boat. That hold a couple gallons. That would be a ton of oil to use in a day. Sounds like your filling the jug under hood only

3. Member
    Yes, which tank needs refilling? You should not be adding oil to the main oil tank on the motor. The system is designed to automatically refill that tank if and as needed.

4 to 5 hours of use on that tank seems a bit much. Unless you are idling mostly.

What indications are you seeing on your tachometer if you have the type that indicates the oil system status?

4. Banned
    The Oil Pump Link Rod end could be broken defaulting to oil being pumped at full stroke.

5. Member

Yamaha oil linkage

As mentioned look at the oil linkage. sounds like it is broken off and Yamaha designed them to over oil when it happens.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Member
    It sits on side of oil injection pump, port side of motor