Trim problem 200 EFI(2000)

Serial number OT158005-Noticed last night after getting home from the lake that motor would leak back down after trimming it up a little in the garage. It does not matter if it is trimmed up just a little or if it is tilted up fairly high, it always leaks back down very slowly, and there is a faint popping/knocking sound every several seconds as it is doing this. I can not see any visual leakage. I made sure the manual relief screw was closed off as well. Boat had seen little use last few years but everything had been working fine up to this point and it had been stored in the garage. Just wondering if this is likely a big money fix or not? Also I am wondering if I can probably continue to use the boat like this awhile? My fear is that the condition could progress to where it would not trim up at all either? Would suck if that were to happen while i was out on the water.

2. Member
    could be just o ring , check fluid , ive seen um quit that after useage
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Could also be several other items, relief valves, check valve in port trim ram, etc.

Sometimes running the engine full down and stalling trim for a couple seconds will resolve (or up and stalling trim, if safe to do so without hitting anything or damaging steering).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor