99 optimax want start with cowl on.

I have a 99 optimax that will start on the muffs every time and will start right up when u first put it in the water. But when u run down the lake and stop to fish it want start back. U turn it over and it will hit then stop then it will just free spin like it’s not fireing. While it’s doing this u can c fuel in the water behind the boat. Now u can take the cowling off and turn it over and it will fire again on first try although it takes it about 4 tries to start it will start and run perfect even after u put cowl back on till u kill it again then same thing.

Sounds like you have a fuel leak, with the cowls on the vapors cause a very rich condition, when is does start I would think it would also idle to fast
    Last edited by lpugh; 08-10-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    I actually fond a busted fuel line this afternoon and repaired it. Will test out in the morning

4. Member
    Well that fixed the fuel leak but not the starting issue. Same deal as long as it’s out of the water fired right up. Put it in the water it will start the first time but after that have to take cowl off to start it. I am still completely lost.

How old are your fuel lines? Do you pump the bulb on each start? When was it last serviced?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Member
    Not sure I’ve had it a year and the lines was on it then.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info when posting. Thanks!

What does the Air Compressor Filter look like?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor