Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat heading issue

I have read through a couple posts in this and found no real solution or reason to why....

Brand new helix 12 g2n. External heading gps sensor. Latest firmware 1.9 installed.

The boat icon does not follow the direction I'm traveling. It looks like the boat is driving sideways. There is no magnetic interference on the gps puck and I even tried holding the puck in my hand feet away from anything and ran the cable straight to the helix feet away from any other cable.

This is my third bird and external puck and I never had this issue before. Very frustrated given I just went from a working setup to upgrade and get this. Has anyone found why this happens or what else to do? Try another puck or head unit?

2. FishSeeker
    You may have already seen this video on heading sensor installation and setup, but in case you haven't here's a link;

It was helpful to me when I installed mine.
    Hope it helps.

3. Member
    i could never solve my problem with ben 1 with more or less same behavior s i just disconnected the heading sensor.

as i understand it, if a heading sensor is connected the icon will always point in the direction of the heading sensor, regardless if set to course up or heading up.
    2016 Tracker pro team 175txw 75hp 4 stroke
    helix 12 si console helix 10 di and helix 10 si bow and ulterra 80 i-pilot link and transom 360 and Garmin 126sv and Livescope

4. Member
    That is what the heading sensor is for, always pointing the boat in the correct direction.(as long as it is calibrated). Your map orientation is whatever you select. If you are moving over .6 Mph the course(if you have selected that for your map orientation) will be in alignment with the heading sensor.(as long as it has been calibrated and the offset set) The other thing is ferrous items if located or if movable items are set near the sensor it will affect the direction of the icon also. If the heading sensor is at the bow some have had the situation with the trolling motor stowed the heading sensor is affected by the motor. If the trolling motor is in the water the heading sensor then points properly. Can be tricky but there is a soultion I am sure. Bob

5. Member
    I have never had to calibrate the HS before but is there a good tutorial on how to?

I have my AS GPS HS at the bow. When the trolling motor is stowed, the Heading Line and boat icon point to the motor. That is not an issue for me when I am using the outboard since I will going fast enough to get Course direction.

When the motor is deployed, it works correctly unless I let the steering cable/power get too close to the antenna--high current and metal steering cables affect the compass.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
    I have never had to calibrate the HS before but is there a good tutorial on how to?
    Page 16 in the manual:

https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...PS_531478E.pdf
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Mine at the transom gets thrown off from what I believe is charging current from the alternator when I first start the boat and run on plane for a bit, then it seems to calm down once the battery tops off. In these instances I switch to Course-up. Another time I thought I was going crazy because my spot lock jog dial was sending me in unexpected places. Turns out I set my Yeti cup in the front holder and the tiny magnet in the sliding lid threw the MK heading sensor way off even though it was over a foot away. Like Wayne mentioned, if you have a heading sensor up front, the stowed trolling motor is a huge magnetic disturbance.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

9. Member
    Should my heading position be reading something regardless of whether or not I'm moving? When i hold the puck in my hand and rotate it, i see the boat position spin around but yet the heading sensor value/number never displays anything but - - -
    Attached Images Attached Images

When the AS GPS HS is connected and chosen as the GPS source, it controls the position icon (boat) and/or the Chart direction using Head Up.

The readout may or may not show a compass direction in degrees.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    In every video i see like the one above, it shows a value in the heading sensor box. I think either the heading sensor is broke or the helix. Ahh

In every video i see like the one above, it shows a value in the heading sensor box. I think either the heading sensor is broke or the helix. Ahh
    If the boat icon rotates, there is nothing wrong with the compass function (heading sensor).

May be a glitch in the software for showing the readout.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    I guess im just assuming that since the boat tracks sideways when driving and also the lack the heading sensor value went hand in hand. With out the heading sensor value its hard to calibrate or diagnose the issue as the manual tell me to do on page 16 like you recommended.

I guess im just assuming that since the boat tracks sideways when driving and also the lack the heading sensor value went hand in hand. With out the heading sensor value its hard to calibrate or diagnose the issue as the manual tell me to do on page 16 like you recommended.
    If you use the Chart Orientation setting of Head Up and the Chart does not have the direction the bow is pointed at the top of the screen, you don't have the antenna in an interference free area. Sideways is not direction, that is Course and can be different from Heading if you are drifting 90 degrees to the bow direction.

You won't fix a 90 degree mis-installation with any settings.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This shows the Heading (line and boat icon) pointed to the top of the Chart view using Head Up Chart Orientation. The green Course line points somewhat to the right since the wind was blowing left to right as I was traveling forward=side drift. Course is the direction the boat was moving.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Update

Called HB. They said the sideways boat and --- heading sensor readout is a know issue in 1.9

Back to 1.84 i guess

Update

Called HB. They said the sideways boat and --- heading sensor readout is a know issue in 1.9

Back to 1.84 i guess

Must be a second generation issue with the sideways position icon, my first generation Helix 12 CHIRP SI GPS does not do that with 1.900
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    My gen 1 helix 10 di does this after the 1.9 update. If I step back to the last release what do I give up? Is 1.84 the version before it and if so is it still downloadable?

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    My gen 1 helix 10 di does this after the 1.9 update. If I step back to the last release what do I give up? Is 1.84 the version before it and if so is it still downloadable?
    Read the 1.900 software description that is included with the update on the Humminbird website.
    Do not know what the H10 DI software versions are. I have 1.830 as the previous version for the first generation H12 SI model.
    You have to get the older software from Humminbird or someone that has a copy.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    In version 1.90, HB confirmed that the digital heading does not display. You still see a heading line projection on the map display but no numeric heading displayed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast