new guides to rebuild Loomis rods

Guys:

I'm new to wrapping and have done a dozen replacement guides. I want to tackle reguiding a old Loomis rod that I have had allot of guide issues with. I love recoils but hate the price. Rod is a 7'6" cranking rod. I don't mind spending $50-60 for a set, more if worth it. All the options are mind blowing to me. #1 & #2 criteria are: 1. I want a tough guide that won't break off at the base of the ring like a lot of micros do and 2. I want a ring (or no ring) that wont come out. Basically high quality black ring & insert. I like a black finish. I like small rings but not micro.

What size stripper, 2nd guide, and runners do I need based on the above. Also please help me select the guides. A link would be great!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Bill

2. Member
    This past spring I replaced the rcoil gudes with Fuji alconite on 6 Loomis rods. My client is happy with the results

3. Member
    My vote would be the Fuji alconites in the KW double foot series. Something like a 16, 12, 8, 6, then 5.5 runners out to the tip. Another option would be start with a 12, 8, 6, then however many number 5's to go out to the tip. The main consideration if not doing a spiral wrap is to keep the line up off the blank which can be done with height and amount of guides used.

4. Member
    I would start at an 8 at the biggest and work down to 4 for my runners.

5. Member
    Any builder have some recoils they replaced and would sell?

6. Member
    If you don't find any used ones, one of the board sponsors Get Bit Outdoors carries them for a reasonable price. If you're not in a huge hurry, they run some good sales from time to time.

7. Member
    Thanks DOC

8. Member
    Alconite either Concept or K Series. I'd start out with an 8 double foot for the stripper (BLNAG8), second guide would be a single foot 6 (BLAG6) and the 5.5s (BLAG5.5) on out to the tip (BFAT6 and then whatever tube size, probably 5, 5.5, or 6 depending on the rod). You're looking at like $26 plus shipping for that train.

https://www.getbitoutdoors.com/compo...te-guides.html