Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Recommendations for an older Ranger

I am in the market for a boat for my son and I to get out and spend some time on the water. Looking to keep costs low, and I really like some of the older Rangers. I grew up bass fishing in 300 series rangers when I was a teenager back in the late 90s and I really like the look and ride of those boats. I have found a few that Im interested in for a project and I wanted to pick the brains of some of you who probably have a wealth of knowledge on the topic. Ive narrowed it down to the following models: 373,361, 350, 393, 374. I am leaning heavily toward either the 361 or the 374. I just really like the lines and the size is good for what I want. This will likely wind up being an over the winter project that I hope to have ready for the water by spring. Any feedback or experiences that any of you could share would be very helpful in making the decision.

2. Member
    361 would be my pick,got to the factory deck extension,your going to have as much in it fixing one up nice vs buying one thats already nice 8-12k

3. Member
    461, 361, 481, 374, and the 487 along with their dual console equivalents would be my first choices in older Rangers, and in this order.

The only problem with the older Rangers is the inability to store rods greater than 7'0" in the rod box

4. Scraps
    I'd stay in those 361/461 boats maxed out at a 175. Fantastic fishing boats. I could store at least a 7-6 rod in my old 461.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I am partial too the 374V with the extended deck and 175 it's a great fishing platform , if you have any questions or need anything in regards to that model let me know
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

6. Member
    I got into a 362V this year w/ 150 Yamaha. Paid $4K, probably put $500 parts into boat/motor/trailer plus some significant time. Super stable and fishable, haven't had it in truly rough water yet. She ain't speedy, but I'm in no hurry nowadays. Rod lockers are the biggest downside, with wet foam being the next. Glad it doesn't have wood below the water line (I'd be paranoid in an '87 or older hull).

7. Member
    Naturally I’m partial to the 391v.
    - 19’ 3” boat
    - raised casting deck compared to some other older 300 series boats (such as the 390)
    - runs 68-70mph with a 200.
    - HUGE rear deck due to the rear deck ‘5’6” rod locker’ .... which is great for partner fishing/ team events.
    - recommend getting one with a tandem axle
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

8. Member
    I owned the 374 V for 5 years and absolutely loved it. I had a 175 on it and it was perfect. The only bad thing if you add the deck extension is that it will only fit 7'0" rods

9. Member
    Thanks so much for the input. I have narrowed it down to 4 that Im pretty interested in. I found a 361 for a really low price, but it has no motor and no trolling motor. Boat and trailer looks to be good shape though. I have also located a 482V and a 481VS that are both in good shape and one has a Johnson 150 fast strike motor, which I'm told is a pretty solid motor from that era. The last one is a 374 that's in great shape, but only has a 90 hp motor on it, although it is a 2005. Im probably going to start kicking some tires and hope to possibly be able to take one of these home in the next week. It's seems to be pretty hard to find some of these that are still in good shape.

10. Member
    I vote for 361 if its in good shape with a new 150 pro xs 4s.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarmstrong View Post
    Thanks so much for the input. I have narrowed it down to 4 that Im pretty interested in. I found a 361 for a really low price, but it has no motor and no trolling motor. Boat and trailer looks to be good shape though. I have also located a 482V and a 481VS that are both in good shape and one has a Johnson 150 fast strike motor, which I'm told is a pretty solid motor from that era. The last one is a 374 that's in great shape, but only has a 90 hp motor on it, although it is a 2005. Im probably going to start kicking some tires and hope to possibly be able to take one of these home in the next week. It's seems to be pretty hard to find some of these that are still in good shape.
    I just sold my 374 v in very good but not mint shape with a 175, 36v TM 101lb, two HB Color GPS Graphs for $6500 in all of a day. If it were mint I could have gotten 7500 to 8k

12. Member
    481VS can fit 7’ 6” rods in rod locker. At least I can fit them in my 1998 481VS. Boat has a smoother ride compared to other newer boats I’ve been in and I take it on the Great Lakes every chance I get(wind/weather permitting)

13. Member
    Ok. I have a 361 that Im looking pretty hard at. It has no motor and no trolling motor. It does have Merc controls and the hydraulic steering is still in place. Ive located a good deal on a 175 Merc that I could potentially put on it. Is this something worth looking into, or a big headache that Im potentially getting into. Ive never dealt with putting a motor on before. The trolling motor is a pretty easy fix, and Ill probably pull new wire just to ensure its good to go, but the motor part is what makes me nervous. Any thoughts?

14. Member
    does the 361 have the deck extension (factory one)

I ran a 361 w/175 merc. Boat was pretty fast. No way in hell did it ride good. I’m older now and a little smarter. Go with the 400 series with max HP motor. Your back will thank you.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Repowering is comon practice with older hulls. The headache is worth the effort.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    With no experience at such work, you’re looking at a big headache. There’s no telling what-all that boat might need in terms of parts and maintenance. Sounds more like a project boat [long-term project, that is] for someone with a lot of experience/expertise. The 482 that is running seems like much less work, because you can test it to see whether everything is functional. Depends on how much work and stress you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by wcarmstrong View Post
    Ok. I have a 361 that Im looking pretty hard at. It has no motor and no trolling motor. It does have Merc controls and the hydraulic steering is still in place. Ive located a good deal on a 175 Merc that I could potentially put on it. Is this something worth looking into, or a big headache that Im potentially getting into. Ive never dealt with putting a motor on before. The trolling motor is a pretty easy fix, and Ill probably pull new wire just to ensure its good to go, but the motor part is what makes me nervous. Any thoughts?
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I think it is pretty easy to find a 300 series boat, in the 90's range around the northeast for sale, that are in good shape and I'm not looking .So with some time and a little travel you should be able to come up with one for sure
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    I have one found that I wanted to check with all of you. The 361 I've been looking at with no motor and no trolling motor. Man wants 2500 for it, and it looks to be in good shape. Has batteries, charger, Merc controls, wired for Lowrance electronics, networked, has a jackplate, and the steering is intact. I could basically put a trolling motor on it and take it to some of the electric only lakes around here right away. Id have to either find an older Merc to put on it or Repower with a new one next spring maybe. Most of the lakes close to me are either electric only or hp restricted, so I could fish it this fall with just the trolling motor and take my time on the motor. The other boat Im looking at is a 481 vs. More money, but has the 150 fast strike on it and basically needs nothing. Its basically down to those two.

20. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast