Dustin Ray

Anyone else have chine walking issues?

Ok so I’m still trying to get used to my new 205 with a Suzuki 250SS. I ran the stock 4 blade 14.25 dia 28pitch prop during break in but noticed no matter where I ran the trim or jack plate I couldn’t hardly break 5500 rpms. Most comfortable cruising speed was around 64mph. Anything over that the front would start bouncing like the prop didn’t have enough lift to keep it up, and then it would start bouncing side to side at 67mph. I’ve since put on a 3 blade scorpion 15 1/8dia. 26 pitch that a buddy had in hopes to gain top end with out feeling like I was about to wreck. It was even a little more scary. Great lift and quick mphs but as soon as I topped 65 it started rocking back and forth. I didn’t expect that with this boat as wide as it is and have been in several without this issue. I’m running my 6” atlas hydronic jack plate at mid height which is 3” below pad and try bumping up to around 2” below pad and everywhere in between. Still same results. Just wondering if anyone out there is experiencing same issues or is it just the setup with Suzuki that I’m not figuring out. All runs are just me, around 1/2 tank of fuel, twin 10’ talons, lithium batteries. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I’m kinda scratching my head at this point. This is supposed to be a mid 70’s boat but I figured high 60’s to low 70’s with partner, full load, and talons. Talons are mounted as high as possible.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Not just Falcon but any high performance boat normally chine walks. Set up helps, but seat time is the best. Take a buddy that has been around high proformace boats and let him teach you how to drive it. That's my best suggestion.. Congrats on your new boat.

3. Dustin Ray
    Thank you.

4. Member
    My 205 has a G2 on it and I dont experience much chine walking at all until I get to 70mph....65-68 theres almost zero. To me it sounds like an issue somewhere. Im running a 26p Raker HO and its an all around strong prop. Mind you im also a manual jackplate as well not hydraulic.....im half wondering if you need to lower your jack plate even more and then trim up to get your RPMs going?
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

5. Dustin Ray
    Thanks guys I’ll give both a try.

6. Member
    I run a G2 as well. Mine walks a little over 70 mph, but very manageable. I can drive with one hand easily. Actually, mine was worse with the jackplate lower. I raised it up and it runs much better with little walking. Ran it at 72.5 this morning with me, all my tackle which s quite a bit, and 3/4 tank of fuel. I know the zuki’s may be a bit harder to prop. I’ve had my prop blue printed and balanced and a smidge of the trailing edge removed. Helped hole shot but little gain on top end. But, you might have the prop worked a little. Helps handling if set to the correct height. Just tried a 25 RX4 over the weekend. Ran 100 more RPM’s and was 1 mph slower. That G2 likes the 3 blade better. I ran a 25 raker HO and it was 300 rpm’s more than my 26 but about half mph slower and hole shot was slower. Really weird.

On your’s I’d think you need to turn closer to 6000 rpm’s to get the most out of that motor. So, maybe a smaller prop and some setup and you’ll get it running right.

7. Member
    First step is balance your boat. Put heavy stuff in the back and left side if you fish alone more often. Second step is to make sure you are not overtrimming. It does not have to go all the way up. Scorpions are a great prop but hey are very stiff and have a LOT of bow lift. A 4 blade may be a better fit for you but you will have to experiment a bit. Try not trimming it as much to start and run up till it just starts to walk a tiny bot and work on learning that. (when you feel it falling to the right, apply a touch of left steering input) When that is natural feeling after a trip or three, you can increase the trim a bit more. This information is discussed on several different forums and none of it is :mine: but it is what I feel worked best for me to learn. A Falcon aired out will walk but it will also ride great and be almost as fast trimmed down a few ticks.....

8. Dustin Ray
    The stock 4 blade definitely handled better. I want to purchase a turbo TXP OT4 but I’m not sure what pitch to get since they run 2 pitches stiff. Since the most comfortable ride is half trim at 5500 rpm @64 mph would a OT4 25 pitch be the best bet figuring that the OT4 26 pitch would be about the same as stock Suzuki 28pitch?

9. Dustin Ray
    Or should I go with the OT4 24 pitch to try to gain 400rpm? Thanks for the help guys! I knew the talons would slow me down a bit, but I would like my motor running at optimum performance and not bogged down.

10. Member
    I can run COMFORTABLE at 68mph.....thats with two guys, poles, his tackle.....my tackle which is wayyyy too much and full tank of fuel. Just did it two weeks ago on st clair in bfl. Once I got up to 70mph she started to walk some but it didnt help there were side to side waves from boat traffic on everyone taking off.
    2019 Falcon 215 Yamaha Sho 250, Lithiums, X2, Poles, Ultrex, Birds, Mega 360 & Livescope.

Previous-2017 Falcon 205 Evinrude G2 250HO, Lithiums, Poles, Ultrex, Birds and 360.

11. Member
    dustinray, a boat pic please?

12. Member
    I would try a 25 TXP or possibly a 27 or 28 Bravo 1 XS. A friend may have a bravo 26 or so you can try for free before you buy.

13. Dustin Ray
    This is where my jackplate has to be set to have 3” below pad. If jackplate is all the way down I’m at 6” below pad.
    AB13CCA2-EBCD-4A0A-9932-0566D8C2D4EF.jpeg

14. Member
    Running the same set up except I have a mark corxton 28 pitch 4 blade very little walk at 70 Jack plate is on 2 runs better with a full tank of fuel just ordered a custom hydrofoil she if that helps holeshot.

15. Member
    Firea141: You have a 205? A Suzuki and their 4 blade prop? I have a 215 w/Suzuki and their 4 blade prop. Was wondering if I should send it to Croxton too.

16. Dustin Ray
    Quote Originally Posted by Firea141 View Post
    Running the same set up except I have a mark corxton 28 pitch 4 blade very little walk at 70 Jack plate is on 2 runs better with a full tank of fuel just ordered a custom hydrofoil she if that helps holeshot.
    That's encouraging to hear as I was thinking about giving him a call. Do you also have double power poles or talons?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinray View Post
    That's encouraging to hear as I was thinking about giving him a call. Do you also have double power poles or talons?
    Yes I have 10ft blades....4 blade 28....got the hydrofoil on it now helps with the hole shot.....72 with some walk.