Is an old 2 stroke worth putting money into?

I have an old Nitro with an Evinrude Intruder 175. I like the boat, I don’t like the engine. It needs to be rebuilt and I’m unsure if it worth putting 4-5 thousand dollars into a motor that is this old.

Any opinions?

2. Member
    That's a personal decision. A new 175 Merc will run around 12k plus rigging. Even more for a new Evinrude 175 G2. The 175 G2s I priced out were north of 15k if I recall.
    2004 Tracker Avalanche with 150 Mercury XR6

3. Member
    As mentioned, it is your money. The older 2 stroke motors are reliable, and easy to maintain.
    Options are

Rebuild it with reputable builder

Purchase used newer motor like a 04 with efl. The gas savings are much better

3rd get new motor. I fix alot of cars and various things. Manufacturing and relaiabiity has improved but the componet parts all come from China. Majority of cars and boat motors come with several computers. Mechanically they last longer but the cheap production of the electronics will cost more to maintain and operate in the future.

Have a friend who is a master mechanic and he works on cars everyday at the shop. He said when the motor fails on his dodge ram he is replacing with reman motor.
    Just my two cents.

4. Member
    I am talking to Gordon with Monty Racing to build a 115 60deg Evinrude for me. I like the older engines. That being said I have had super success with WSM engine kits in Yamaha & Evinrude engines. So far no failures in any of the V-4's I rebuilt. Finding a quality machine shop is not as easy as you would think but when you do they really make you look good. My Champion project boat is rated for a 140 so a Monty Racing Stage 2 Bass Package in a 115 60deg is the way I'm looking to go. Gives me around 140HP @320#'s. BTW 1996-1999 engines, I have been collecting for parts for a few years. Spare parts are a wonderful thing.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eh2000 View Post
    I have an old Nitro with an Evinrude Intruder 175. I like the boat, I don’t like the engine. It needs to be rebuilt and I’m unsure if it worth putting 4-5 thousand dollars into a motor that is this old.

Any opinions?
    If you don't like the motor, get a newer motor you like, then run it until that needs rebuilding, then put the money into that motor, just my 2 cents.

I've got the same situation, but I've got a 'newer' 2001 Mercury Optimax 225 DFI engine, and I absolutely love it. Runs great, fuel mileage and oil consumption is awesome, buuut, it won't run great forever, so, when a marine mechanic friend offered me a used high-hour motor with low compression of the exact same vintage for $200, I jumped on it thinking I'd get it for spare parts and make my money back 10-fold. Took it apart, bagged, tagged and stored all the parts. Now I'm staring at this bare 225 long block, it spins smoothly, no rods sticking out of the block, thinkin', why the heck not rebuild this spare block and keep it ready for when mine goes? As I head into retirement years, I've got to think in ways to keep on the water for minimal cost, and this makes sense. Sure, a new 4 stroke 225 would be nice but $17,000 in my pocket sounds nicer ($22k new motor installed minus about $5k rebuild old mill, guessing on those numbers...).

The BIG key is finding a local machine shop that's competent with these engines and has a good track record of rebuilding, AND a good source for pistons, rings, bearings, etc.? I've got a few leads in Nor
    Cal, but haven't pulled the trigger. No hurry, yet. How about you? What'd you decide?
    Fish frequently, my friends! ----------<')))><
    2001 Triton TR20, 225L OptiMax, 26" Tempest Plus, Serial No: PT345686

6. Member
    After many hours of consideration, I decided to spend the money on a different used boat and 2 stroke motor. The decision was tough as the old boat was paid for and had many features I really liked. The new boat has better potential and putting money into this particular outboard will be easier I believe. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

7. Member
    What year was the intruder? I had a 1995 intruder and when I bought my allison with a blown merc I almost kept the intruder to put on it. I loved that engine. I always heard that the intruder and the johnson fast strike were the best omc engines made.