Con’s of 10ft Power Poles

For all you guys that have 10 ft poles what do you not like about them? Has anyone went from 10’s to 8’s?
    I want 10’s but don’t like them sticking so far above the motor so I’m almost set on 8’s. I could deal with the extra height if they were more benefits over 8’s besides the extra almost 2ft reach. Been undecided now for over 2 months and need to get on with getting a set.

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Happy to get with you when you decide, and shoot you the best package pricing out there. The con's we hear from the majority of customers is the height they stick up, having the garage door clearance for 10 footers and that they dont hold as well as 8 foots due to spike flex. Since the ultrex has come out our sales of 10 foots has decreased not sure about other dealers however. We have also had a bunch of customers going from there 10's to 8's as they do not want the 10's since getting a ultrex they say no need. I personally have 8 foot blades and a ultrex and I wouldnt want 10's. Hope this helps.

Other than the height when going into a garage or into storage, wouldn't have it any other way. Glad I went with 10ft.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    I have 8's wished I had gotten 10's

5. Member
    My 10's won't fit in my garage I have to lower them and raise them when going in and out so I bought tilt brackets but I haven't installed them yet. Mine sit low on my jackplate so I hope they will tilt forward over the transom enough to get them in and out if not they will be for sale...………….the brackets not the poles.

In my opinion- since tens are longer / longer lever to apply leverage and allow the boat to twist more in the wind, my next boat will have 8's with braced brackets. Ultrex helps deeper and with my fishing style and planning ability the 2' more depth is irrelevant
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

7. Member
    I have the 10's and love them! They are a hassle going into and out of the garage BUT I love the fact that I can deploy them in 8 or 9 foot of water and stay put. I do not have an Ultrex, just a lowly Fortrex. If I had the Ultrex then I would go with the 8's. I do notice some sway now and then but it really depends on the wind and the angle of my boat in relation to the wind. If I am broadside to the wind my boat twists, if my bow or transom is facing the wind I don't move at all. Regardless of which ones you get you will love them!

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

8. Member
    Bout decided to just do 8’s. I have an Ultrex too. Won’t have the garage door clearance problem if I done 10’s, new garage has 10x10 doors that I decided on because I had decided on 10 poles in the beginning. The 8’s will work fine and will only be as tall as the motor.

9. Member
    10's will fit under a 10' door my door is only 7' and I only need about an exrea 6" or 8" for my 10' poles.

On my 3rd set of 10s, and wouldnt go no shorter. Got my poles from K&K and he gave me a very good hometown deal. I suggest you look him up.
    I just need to get my Lowrance covers dipped, dripped.
    2015 Legend V20
    250 ProXS
    Lowrance HDSLIVE 12s/16
    BBC Member since 2003

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Legend Chris View Post
    On my 3rd set of 10s, and wouldnt go no shorter. Got my poles from K&K and he gave me a very good hometown deal. I suggest you look him up.
    I just need to get my Lowrance covers dipped, dripped.
    ready when you are my friend!

12. Banned
    I got mine at KandK he was great . I got 8s but 10s can be handy....I just think the 8s look better so I sacrificed some functionality for looks

Granted 10s are the only ones I've ever owned, they don't seem to hold quite as well as the 8s, at least in shallower water. But anything from 7-9' they hold very well.

Other than that I guess the 8s might look a little better because of the size. If my next boat has a spot lock type trolling motor I would consider going with the 8s.

I got the 10s because I fish Smith Mountain Lake a lot and it's really deep. Sometimes I'm anchored in 8' of water fishing for bedded bass in 4-5' of water.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO