Excessively noisy or normal Fortrex

Hadn't noticed the ticking sound much before. It's not quite as harsh in person as in the videos but it is noticable. Am I just looking for a problem? I don't want to be. I feel like I should know if this is excessive noise or not so excuse the question if it is a dumb one.

Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member
    There is a YouTube video that will show you how to “ balance it”. It is definitely out of wack

3. Banned
    Wow, that things some kind of not right!

4. Member
    Great, I didn't need another problem.

I took the case apart, dry as a bone inside. All bearings looked good plenty of grease. There was a little bit of crud build up in the slots of the comutator but seemed to be expected. Brushes looked fine. No idea why it's doing that. Makes no difference with my new spare prop.

It is a little over accentuated in the videos, probably because the phone was pretty close to it.

Seems like it would be a good way to chase off fish though.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    There is a YouTube video that will show you how to “ balance it”. It is definitely out of wack
    Here you go. It worked for me.

6. Member
    I will have to try that for sure, that could be it. Seems like a bearing binding issue being addressed in that situation. It's a starting point for me anyway.

What grease, if any, is used on the o-rings between sections?

7. Member
    So I just went out and fiddled with it as in this video. I'm pretty sure part of the sound change, higher pitch or lower pitch, is just changing the timing of the motor by rotating the brushes relative to the comm. Similar to how you change timing in a RC brushed motor, if anyone is familiar with that. The ticking sound is a bit less, and the thing seems to run fine, all the way down to slow speed where there is no binding or anything like that. So I just lined up the indicator line on the nose cone with the center line of the shaft, and also lined up the skeg fin with the centerline of the shaft as well. Not sure what else to do.