Thread: New camera

New camera

What would be a good camera for a amateur to start with, and not to awfully expensive?

2. Member
    Look at Canon’s refurbished site. Good deals on there no matter your budget and a great warranty. If Canon doesn’t float your boat, look at used from B and H or Adorama. Wouldn’t buy new unless you’re sure you know what you want.

3. Member
    the big decision these days is DSLR or mirrorless. If you want to take pictures but have the opportunity to switch up to different lenses (wide angle, telephoto) then you can get an entry level dslr kit for about 500. I got back into photography about 5 years ago and started with a Nikon d3300 and have been pleased with the results.

Let me know if you have any questions

Woo

4. Member
    Thanks Woo, I will.

For an amateur I'd go DSLR all the way. The kits are inexpensive and functionality is the same. If you decide to upgrade you can decide from there. Right now I'm sticking with DSLR as well. No advantage for me to change. If you're doing landscape or portraits I'd look at a canon 6d (full fame), sports or wildlife a canon 7d (crop sensor). I don't know the Nikon or Sony equivalent but you can't go wrong with any of the three. I can explain the advantages to both if interested.
    2004 Triton TR21, 225 proxs

6. Member
    Been looking around today and came across the Nikon D3500, it's getting good reviews for a beginner but still takes excellent pics, any thoughts ?

7. Member
    I have the d3300 and a d5600 (both are crop sensor) and I love them bought all kinds of different lenses for wildlife, Fish 4 Five makes a good point though if you are going to do landscapes and portrait type pic you may want to invest a little more for a full frame camera, but to just get out and shoot I think you will be happy with the d3500

Woo