Bow Mount or Not

I値l be getting a new Classic soon and am unsure how to mount my front graph. It値l be a HDS 9 Gen 3. I like the sleeker look of having it mounted in the basin but am wondering if I値l miss having it closer to my face and hands on a mount. I wanted to see if there were any recommendations before I spend the money on a Ballzout Mount.

For those of you using a mount, what size arm are you using?

Thanks

I have a Ram Mount (D-111-U, 2.25” ball) on an HDS-8 up front with the 11” arm mounted in the well. I lay it face down with cover on the deck when traveling and cinch it down tight. Been fine for years like that. Honestly, any arm length in the 8-12” range gets it up high enough to view clearly, but stow easily. The Ballzout mounts are really nice. That would be my first choice if I didn’t already have the Ram.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

3. Member
    I have a Helix 10 on a Balzout, standard 6 inch arm on my Classic in the basin up front. It works well for me. Before you order the Balzout, have a good look at the Geiger Tec mounts. They are also very high quality, but offer more adjustability than the Balzout. I know BCB likes them also, but don't see them in their store yet.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

The balzout is strong, will not move, and nice looking, but has nearly no usable adjustability. You better mount that sucker exactly the way you want it positioned. The smallest one click adjustment moves it 30 degrees.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’m looking into the GiegerTec as well as Ballzout.

6. Member
    I'm using the Ram 2.25" ball and 11" arm. Works very well, can be tucked down on deck easy. I mounted mine om the small pad between the basin and t/m pedal. Cut a piece of bicycle inner tube and stretch over the balls, really snugs it up nice.
    1999 Pantera Classic
    1999 Merc 200hp EFI

I have a 12” Helix on a Balzout, very happy with it. I had a RAM mount before, kept moving in rough water.

I have a Helix 7 and Lowrance 7 on the bow well in mine, both on RAM mounts and wouldn't have it any other way. never have had a problem with them moving around while running. If I were to go to a bigger screen size I would do something different mount wise though and just go to the Larger Ram like I have on my Helix 9 on the console.

9. Member
    FWIW, I chose to mount my u bracket right on the floor of the basin. For me I like the low profile and it is really secure. It won't be jumping around in rough water or on the highway. There is a risk of being stepped on and it is a few inches farther from my eye. Still, it works for me. Elite 7 HDI.

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I went with a GeigerTec 6" mount.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I went with a GeigerTec 6" mount.
    Good choice. Does he have any retailers down in the US yet, or did you have to go with one of the retailers up here in Canada? Bryan Geiger makes a great product, and his shop is 10 minutes from my house. He's a good dude, and an avid bass angler. I'm planning on getting one of his transom savers for the Mercury 4 stroke.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Put one on my puma and the swag button bracket. Couldnt be happier. I did the 6" arm. The guy who makes those mounts was awsome on the phone and sent me a base so I could reuse the original holes. It makes it a little bit easier to reach. Im running hds9- gen 3 as well. BALZOUT.jpg
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Good choice. Does he have any retailers down in the US yet, or did you have to go with one of the retailers up here in Canada? Bryan Geiger makes a great product, and his shop is 10 minutes from my house. He's a good dude, and an avid bass angler. I'm planning on getting one of his transom savers for the Mercury 4 stroke.
    I ordered it straight from their website. I didn't see black as an option so I emailed an inquiry and got an immediate response that they do have it in black. I placed my order last Wednesday night and it should be delivered today!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I have a 12” Helix on a Balzout, very happy with it. I had a RAM mount before, kept moving in rough water.

Same experience for me.