Badin Lake Help/Thoughts

I've been finding tons of schooling bait being gorged on by multiple schools/packs of bass lately on Badin Lake, specifically in the south and southeast coves of the lake, but I haven't been able to get these fish to bite anything I've thrown at them. They've pushed the shad balls up against shell beds and grass lines and are feasting.

There were quality bass feasting on bait, but what they're chasing seems to be incredibly small. Is this a second shad spawn? I've thrown small and big spoons, crank baits, finesse worms and shaky heads and still no strikes even when pulling directly into the schools or dropping below them and trying to "match the hatch" in terms of forage color and size, even throwing wildly differing alternatives to mix things up and keep at it.

The only thing I hadn't done, in hindsight that I've thought of since and considered viable, is to have hopped a heavy but compact jig through those deep water fish, but that's about it.

Any help or suggestions on what to do to target these fish better would be appreciated. Thanks all. Tight lines.
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax
    Networked Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch, HDS7 Gen2 Touch, LSS-2

Small A-Rigs such as Yum Jr. with the same size trailers as the baits and the Underspins with the same. Many years ago we use to use the larger type rooster tails. Fish have an unlimited buffet during those times and are hard to catch. Good Luck.

3. Member
    How small of a spoon? Usually a Little Cleo will draw bites from schoolies. Use the smallest one.

Leave them and go fish where there is less competition. Hotdog stand wouldnt do very well right outside the Golden Corral... makes a killing outside Lowes though.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    Leave them and go fish where there is less competition. Hotdog stand wouldnt do very well right outside the Golden Corral... makes a killing outside Lowes though.

6. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Donkey Rig with small flukes works best (double fluke rig) but these fish are usually on the small side > 2 lb. Go up behind the rocks at the dam and catch all you want! Not going to win anything with them but it can be fun!