Thread: Routing cables

Routing cables

When it comes to issues of interference, realistically how far away from other wiring should transducer cables be kept? Do ethernet cables need to be managed in any particular way?

I put my SS3D box in my starboard rod locker, right in front of the drivers console, and it would be easiest to bundle the transducer cable, power lead and ethernet cable together for clean cable management. Would be over a length of about 3ft.

Beyond that, coming from the transom, there is really no way to keep the SS3D cable away from other cables.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

2. Member
    There is no simple anser to that, as there are variables here that comes from model and make of outboard, USB-chargers, LED-lanterns etc.

If you can, try to keep the cable from the transducer(s) seperate from power to/ from the engine, USB-charger, Live-well, TM and LED-lanterns. Often an inch of seperation is more than enough. If you have areas where the cables must be bundled, you can use led-tape on the cables there. (You can find led-tape in shops that sell golf-eqipment, or on ebay etc.) I only use led when I have an issue though, so try without first.

3. Member
    Here's my take on the answer. Once you get past/away from the engine there's not really an issue to be concerned with. Do what you can do to provide separation but don't give it a lot of thought or effort. Going to the console from the rigging compartment there simply is nothing drawing a lot of power. There's no "high" load like a starter or alternator(2 primary sources of interference). So there's nothing generating appreciable electrical radiation. I don't know if your OX66 200 has a CAN buss but if it does.... 5v up and down for a 2.5v differential. Alternator gauge 12v no load, fuel gauge is a resistance reading with minimal voltage required. Water pressure gauge - mechanical. There's just nothing there to create inteference. Combine this info with the fact that the transducer cable is actually pretty well shielded.

Stay away from the trolling motor battery leads if you can. If you can't don't run the transducer cable parallel to them. Other than that - install - go fishing.

4. Member
    ok, thanks. Yes, for sure it's far from trolling motor power of any kind. It does come kind of close to the main harness from the engine, but in my starboard aft compartment, where the main rigging tube comes in from the engine, I purposefully ran the lead for the transducer and Point 1 a good 6 inches or so away from other wiring. There is just a section on the boat where everything except trolling motor wiring runs from that aft compartment up to the switch panel and I avoided bundling it in with the other wiring, letting it run loose, more or less by itself, but it can help but run past other wiring. Sounds like I should be ok, but I'll watch carefully for interference issues.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp