2002 225 EFI idle help

Serial #0t529281
    Having an issue with idle seems to start fine sometimes pops/coughs when starting. Sometimes idles fine hot or cold doesn't seem to matter. It appears to be loading up on fuel. Plugs look extremely rich. Been going on for two years now with no change. Also of not sometimes starts up and idles fine. Parts replaced so far are plugs, coils, fuel pressure regulator, new reeds, cleaned flow tested and injectors done, tps sensor, map sensor, main fuel pump, all fuel filters.
    Compression is good across the board at 120. Another note seems like losing top end lately but i attribute that to summer temps.
    No codes

Thanks for any help in advance
    Tony

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony4280 View Post
    Serial #0t529281
    Parts replaced so far are plugs, coils, fuel pressure regulator, new reeds, cleaned flow tested and injectors done, tps sensor, map sensor, main fuel pump, all fuel filters.
    Compression is good across the board at 120.
    No codes

Thanks for any help in advance
    Tony
    Tony,
    you must be the most patient man alive to put up with a bad running anything for 2 yrs.
    What plugs are you running? there is only 1 for it Champion QL77CC .040" gap
    What oil, additives are you running? I hope is not some Wallyword special, and you are running Mercury or Quicksilver.
    I have a 2003 225 EFI less than 230hrs with TDR carbon fiber reeds from European Marine that were hand lapped for best fit, and I run the above plugs and additive at Don Weed suggestion.
    Idles perfect and runs like a coonhound on a hot trail.

If its popping/coughing at idle...that sounds more like a lean sneeze issue. I would check that TPS for proper adjustment and operation. Has this motor been rebuilt or powerhead removed?
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Idle relief holes in the adapter plate, possibly plugged with carbon deposits

Tps sensor is new and has been checked good. Where are the idle relief holes in the adapter plate. Also update while at the last BFL lost ten MPH top end and RPM wouldnt go over 4500.
    Took in to Team Marine in Lacrosse and was told plugs were fouled. Also that there was an update on the thermostats to run hotter(130 deg)and not foul plugs. Parts are ordered we will see.

6. Member
    The powerhead must be pulled to address the idle relief holes.

7. Member
    Yep and I think there is 18 holes ? And was told not to drill them bigger . (3/8) size from the Mfl

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One item you can use to help determine restriction in the idle relief... bury the engine (trim) with the idle relief opening 1" above the water surface.

Run engine at idle, maybe up to 850 RPM's in Neutral. If you see exhaust bubbling from the gearcase and/or lower portion of engine, it's very likely the idle relief sector is restricted (powerhead and adapter plate must come off... see post in the FAQ Section).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor