1996 Stratos 219F set up.

Hello gentlemen,

I recently bought my first outboard fishing boat, a 1996 stratos 219F. It has a 1996 Evinrude Intruder 150 on it. Prop to pad is @ 6" or very close to it. Ive only had the boat out once but it hit 47mph with me (215lbs) and my brother in law (205lbs) and roughly 15 gallons of fuel, RPMS were 4600-4700 (which i feel is a little low) It has a OMC renegade 4 blade 13 1/2 x 25 on it. Im not very knowledgable on outboards as this is my first one, so im hoping i can get some help as far as getting the RPMS up and getting some more speed out of this boat. I will post pictures of current mounting set up. I would prefer to not go to a jack plate if at all possible. Am i ouf of my mind thinking this boat should run 55 or so ? also boat has good compression, and good spark, carbs were redone before i bought it, im just wondering if i have to much "grip" out of that prop with it that "deep" thanks for any help you can give me.

IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPGIMG_3004.JPG

2. Pat Goff
    There's a lot of information on the interweb, so much so it becomes confusing.
    First question was that speed/rpms at full throttle, full trim?

Was that speed from a boat speedometer or gps? Boat speedometers are very rarely correct.

No plate? Six inches is probably about right, when you read things like 3 1/2" motor height, that is with a jack plate. When you move the motor back, you also move it up. You can't run the same height flat on transom.

I'd be looking for a 22 raker to run, that will put you in the right rpm range, and highly likely get your 55 mph.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Hi Pat, thanks for your reply, that speed/rpm was trimming the motor up until I got the most lift out of the water. That speed came off of my gps. I realize this is an older boat and not gong to be a rocket ship. I will look into a 22p raker. I believe a normal diameter prop op these motors is 14” could a 13 1/2” prop have anything to do with it ? Potentially a previous owner trying to get RPMs up ?

4. Member
    I don't know what IMG 3004 is supposed to be but it's not prop to pad height. Use this to measure prop to pad http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 I think you'll find it's about 4.5" under now. You need a 6 inch jack plate on that boat to adjust the prop to pad height or it will never run.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    I don't know what IMG 3004 is supposed to be but it's not prop to pad height. Use this to measure prop to pad http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=62660 I think you'll find it's about 4.5" under now. You need a 6 inch jack plate on that boat to adjust the prop to pad height or it will never run.
    I didn’t mean to upload that picture, i measured prop to pad correctly per the instructions I found. It looks like I have about 1.5” of vertical movement I can use, is that not worth trying first ?

6. Pat Goff
    Probably not. If you lose speed at full trim you’re probably too high already.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    Hello, I've got the same boat. I have since changed engines but mine had the Intruder 150 hp. before replacing with a 4 stroke. When running the Intruder I ran a 23 pitch 3 blade or a 24 pitch 4 blade, but I have a 6" jack plate on mine. I've noticed that this hull seems to like the engine running a little deeper than a normal bass boat prop to pad measurements. You should be turning a little more rpm, with the Intruder and should see mid to upper 50's out of your boat. If you can run a little lite on gas will help also, because the gas tank is located under the front deck on the 219f. The 219 fishes well and was a popular crappie fishing boat at one time.

8. Member
    So should I give 14x22 raker 4 blade a shot then, if that doesn’t get me in the mid 50s then think about going to a jackplate set up

9. Member
    I would go with a 6” jack plate anyway. That boat is bow heavy so a bit more prop leverage will help. Also,all Rakers are three blade props. I know Pat suggested a 22 Raker but you might need to go down to a 20” to get the rpm up. In general,a larger diameter prop will give more bow lift than a smaller prop like your Renagade.

10. Member
    Rip, would you suggest a hydraulic plate or a fixed plate, I know the cost difference is 700-800$

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Acooper1983 View Post
    So should I give 14x22 raker 4 blade a shot then, if that doesn’t get me in the mid 50s then think about going to a jackplate set up
    Raker props are 3 blade props not 4 .

12. Member
    Thanks I saw that.

13. Member
    Get a six inch manual jack plate it's all you need.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acooper1983 View Post
    Rip, would you suggest a hydraulic plate or a fixed plate, I know the cost difference is 700-800$
    If cost is no object then a hydraulic is better,much easier to adjust for different conditions or load but a fixed plate will work fine.

15. Member
    I wouldn't put a hydraulic jack plate on it because of the cost and the fact that that boat has wood stringers, a wooden floor and a wooden transom which have all been known to rot. Unless you can prove it's sound by having a marine survey of the hull I wouldn't invest in a hydraulic jack plate just put a 6" manual on it.

16. Member
    13 1/2 dia prop is a 4 1/4 hub dia is your lower unit a 4 1/4 unit or is it a 4 3/4 if it is a big gear case and you do not have a exhaust ring to take up the gap on the propeller you are cavating the propeller. check the prop dia and case dia and run a 23 pitch raker or tempest. Stratos are heavy hulls and they need all the help on lift they can get. Tempest, raker or even a 21 pitch Solas pro L3. The solas has alot of surface area so you will not need the pitch you will in other props.

17. Member
    I had a 96 219 w/150 intruder that I fished daily for five years, I currently have a different 219 w/ 175 intruder and a hydraulic jack plate that I’ve put over 100 days on this year.
    1. These are the dog days of summer, hot water is robbing your setup of somewhere around 5 mph and 300+- rpm.
    2. These boats are particularly sensitive to weight in the bow. Remove heavy items from bow and run half a tank of gas.
    3. Your boat comes alive with the proper 4 blade prop, I would stick with 4 vs 3.
    4. A jack plate helps a little on this boat, I would save the extra stress on the wood transom and buy the correct prop with the money saved. You’ll be much further ahead.
    5. This boat most likely came with an OMC shooter 25 13 1/4. I have one stock and one with a cavitation ring. The latter is dinged up, but I like it better.
    6. With a four blade shooter, you can move that motor all the way up on your transom, and still trim all the way up with your motor.
    Hope this helps.