Any good fishing in KS left?

I grew up in Salina and used to fishing smaller lakes all the time.
    A couple of my favorites were the two lakes at Herrington. Are they any good anymore?

What is the beast lake in KS now? Cedar Bluffs?

Not sure about the two lakes you mentioned, but there is still some good fishing around. Wilson Res would be the best bigger lake and then there is Big Hill, Bone Creek and Cedar Creek in the SE part of the state. If you want to get even smaller WL County lake and the YC lake still have good populations of fish, although the YC lake is fishing different this year without the grass.

3. Member
    We used to fish Herrington New & old lakes all the time 15-20 yrs ago. Could catch them all over the lake with numerous 4-5 lb Bass. Even walking the jetty's would produce.
    A little over a decade ago they lowered the New lake to a puddle to fix the erosion on the dam... That was the end for Largemouth. 2015-16 Herrington was very last in the spring electro-fishing Survey (forcast) for lakes & they haven't even added it to the list the last few years. If you are into White bass they are at the top of the list from last years survey. Back in the old days we could catch them all day schooling off of points on the West side towards the dam.

Best lake depends on what you're specifically targeting or not targeting. Our last trip to Chase for lg mouth ended with a mixed bag of Bass, Saugeye, crappie, white bass, bluegill, and half dozen huge drum.
    As said above Wilson county is ok, especially if you want to catch short but really fat spotted bass with the occasional 4-5 lb LM
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

4. Member
    that's sad about the Herrington lakes... so many good memories out there... Thanks for the reply

5. Member

Thumbs Up

I Agree herington used to be good on the big
    lake the city lake still has good ones in it but the resevoir its a joke other than the damn wipers and catfish that are in there used to be good for walleye also but then again the wipers took it over. I live just a short while from there if I am to
    fush it for bass go to the lil lake early or during the night and throw a frog

6. Member
    This reminded me of one of our best boat launching story's.
    Normally I will do it all (back in/launch boat/park truck) and my dad will just fish from the bank until I'm done.
    For some reason he insisted he could help this day, and back the boat in while I'm in it. Herington city (old lake) had a fairly steep ramp under the water line.
    He's slowly backing down and foot slips off the brake, gaining speed the back of the boat hits the water with some force. No big deal, I ignore it, put the motors down and troll to the bank to pick him up.
    He sits down in the back and a few seconds later asks how many did I catch? Holds up two 6" crappie from the splash-well that came over the back when it slammed into the water before floating up. lol
    2015 VT 17 w/ 75 4stroke Merc
    Garmin 106sv, Echomap Plus 73sv, & LVS34
    & lots of fish ;)

Quote Originally Posted by one-over-par View Post
    This reminded me of one of our best boat launching story's.
    Normally I will do it all (back in/launch boat/park truck) and my dad will just fish from the bank until I'm done.
    For some reason he insisted he could help this day, and back the boat in while I'm in it. Herington city (old lake) had a fairly steep ramp under the water line.
    He's slowly backing down and foot slips off the brake, gaining speed the back of the boat hits the water with some force. No big deal, I ignore it, put the motors down and troll to the bank to pick him up.
    He sits down in the back and a few seconds later asks how many did I catch? Holds up two 6" crappie from the splash-well that came over the back when it slammed into the water before floating up. lol